Unnamed | custom deck | 10S5P | Dual Hub 90mm | 3D-designed first board

Nice project! It looks pretty stealth. But one thing im concered about: Are you sure that one nickel strip at the end is enough? The maximum amps this battery can draw is 100A and that nickel strip can probably take a maximum of 20A?

uh-ohā€¦

I havenā€™t really considered that. I just thought, hey 10mm nickel strip thatā€™s what everybody else is doing. Youā€™re right though - I have to reinforce the strips and not just the end pieces - it has to be all over the place! Iā€™ll admit though, I was pretty generous with the solder for this specific reason but that wonā€™t help all the potential current-bottlenecks that I have been creating. Thanks forthe heads up!

1 Like

Yeah heā€™s right, if I was you I would just solder a piece of 10awg silicone wire across the gap. I would also do that for your series terminals but with 12awg or add at least 2 more layers of nickel as these strips can only handle about 8amps cont

Okay, we need to talk about hub motors. I read that they will get hot but how hot exactly??? flir_20180731T113617

This is one of the motors after a 10-15 minute trip with some hills. I needed to charge the IR camera before I could take the picture so about 5 minutes after the trip. How hot should those motors get exactly? Anyone who knows?

Also, the point is not even the hotspot of the image. I think itā€™s 95 or 98 degrees Ā©

Damn? After only 15min, thatā€™s pretty hot, I have ā€˜ownboardā€™ hubmotors and can do like 35km rides with my battery. After 2h riding the wheels are also very hot but never measured. But 100Ā°C looks very hot to me.

Which esc do you use? Maybe they put out to much amps for those motors, I guess 20A each is more than enough. I run my hubmotors at 10A each.

Wow! I was planning on using my board for a 14km commute and should have plenty fuel for that with my 10S5P pack.

The thing is that Iā€™ve got the motors and controller as a kit from Alien Power System. I havenā€™t been able to find any documentation at all on the (Chinese) controller. Heā€™s still on Vacation but I will ask as soon as possible. If itā€™s just as simple as limiting the output power it would be sooooo nice! Also I donā€™t have enough power to go uphill but that might be related. Do the motor windings saturate?

You got this kit?

Because then I think the ess is like the same, I guess maybe max 30A so 15A each. Maybe becuase you did hills, those ā€˜cheapā€™ hubmotors are not made for doing hillclimbs.

Yep thatā€™s the one.

I should have read a lot more before I took the plunge and ordered those. I didnā€™t think we had serious hills where I live (Denmark) so I didnā€™t thought that it would make such a difference. It should still be possible to program the escape to limit the power but I need some documentation on how to do that.

I have been thinking about making a VESC clone for the board. At least that will give me the configuration options for the motor :slight_smile:

Well as long as the wheels donā€™t smell bad (like melting rubber it should be okay :sweat_smile: Iā€™ve had a small lou board and it had a single hubmotor, after 5min uphill i checked the wheels and I swear they were really smoking. I guess the insulation from windings were melting and the rubber was hot as fuck. i couldnā€™t touch the metal on the sides because they were burning hot but with these dual hubs they are much cooler and no problems with hills, but they still get hot but I shouldnā€™t be worried. I have had a 50mm sk3 belt setup and the motor was also so hot after rides but never had problems with that :smile:

Wow, that sounds INSANE! Good to know that they should be able to handle the heat. Usually that kind of heat means some kind of trouble. I have been thinking of milling some heatsinks for the truck since some of the heat is transferred that way. But I think the bearings might be damaged from the heat as well, I donā€™t think the lubricant is rated for high temperature actionā€¦ But as you say, Iā€™m better of with two motors than one :wink: