UPDATED: $100 Piece of Shit Build

Skateboards will only last for like an hour or two with their batteries. Then they’ll be out charging for another 1-3 hrs. I doubt much will break in that time frame. Maybe a handful of ESC faults will happen, but nothing catastrophically spectacular…

I propose an Electric Derby with baseball bats instead.

I wasn’t saying have a 24 hour race. (I can’t even imagine riding for 24 hours straight).

I’m simply saying the concept of everyone making a cheap board for fun and then competing would be fun.

IE: 100 yard race on boards under $200. Or road race on boards under $200

Nah I still prefer baseball bats

1 Like

Hard to do races in EU but sure. I think the boards would actually look cool and i find it quite a challenge for our best builders :grinning:

UPDATE: Confirming what we already know: Cheap Parts are Shit. So the battery has been randomly shutting off after less than a half a mile these past few weeks. I’ve been riding my other board, but I finally got time to look at this one and figure out the problem.

It appears that the battery (10s2p of LG Lions with BMS) is dead. It sits at a nominal voltage of 36volts, measured with a DMM, and then turned on the ESC. Simply turning on the ESC (pulls less than 1Amp, and the voltage of the battery drops to 14 volts, measured on the DMM.) So basically the battery can’t handle any load or it dies. Maybe I got bad cells or something cause I think @GrecoMan made a 10s6p pack out of these an I haven’t heard of any problems. Either way I’d say avoid these unless you want to take your chances.

2 Likes

what do you expect from a build with this title. lol.

1 Like

Yeah I know. The key is I had fun while it lasted, I knew it’d probably die quickly.

The good thing that’s come out of this project is that I’ve learned I like cruisers, and like @b264 always says, kick tails are indeed awesome to have.

I’ll probably put some real batteries in it and get it back to running pretty soon.

2 Likes

if you want to spend another 100 bucks, maybe get the meepo battery

Lipos LIPOS!! Why not use them? there cheap dude.

Don’t know how you fit an sk3 motor and flywheels into the budget LOL some cheapo motor I just saw someone link. https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.25.399e6dc4Oz0g1V&id=556043607306&ns=1&abbucket=9#detail you’ve inspired me to make a “Shit board” But first I’ll Finnish the one i have.

Yeah, I’m currently deciding what I want to do with this board, but if i revive it, I’ll probably go with 5x2s lipos for 10s for about $70.

I already had the flywheels and motor, but you could pick up a banggood motor for $40 and generic flywheels for $20 to keep it under $200.

I actually was gifted a new deck and trucks this past christmas, so all the components are currently mounted on that. I also picked up a mount from @marcmt88 to fit the new trucks and remove the sketchiness factor. If I get new lipos this would actually be a pretty decent cruiser for under about $300.

I think it’d be really fun if a bunch of people did shit builds and then at the next performance day, we had a category of max budget: $200 or $300 boards.

5 Likes

Maximum budget is different to folks who already have a pile of esk8 stuff laying around :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeah, I think the thing to do would be to count the cost of items you already had against your budget. So even if I used an existing motor, it would still count as $70 or whatever it costs new against my budget

4 Likes

Keda motor 50$ some random Chinese motor 30-40$

Like your build tho Any comments on the esc and remote combo bulletproof?

1 Like

“bulletproof” and “cheapest” don’t go together even the tiniest amount

sorry for being unclear I meant to say bulletproof for the price, I’m interested in how it exelerates and breakes like

That’s a great idea for esk8con. Shit build Enduro 125 race… All parts sourced at 125.00 open battery rules run any battery. A distance race to catastrophic component failure. Battery swaps ok… multiple riders ok. One mile penalty for every dollar spent over 125.00 beer drinking encouraged

5 Likes

I would win this race for sure. I’d spend $2125 and skate 2175 miles ha ha ha

3 Likes

Yeah so far it’s been pretty bulletproof. The remote is actually great. It’s basically a nano remote with 3 speed/power options and a button to switch directions and go in reverse

2 Likes

I think an endure might take too long. This board has probably gone 100 miles and the only thing that killed it was the shitty battery, everything else has held up great.

I was thinking more of doing the normal performance day events (50m, 100m, and figure 8 or loop), just on crappy boards and see whose was best at that

3 Likes

I’ll put my $200 board up against anyone. Just sayin

3 Likes