UPDATED Putting California's Electric Skateboard Law to the test. Can it get me out of a ticket?

Please update us on how this turns out.

Why didnt you videotape this!?

1 Like

where in LA did this happen?

I pass by cops all the time through downtown, not a single issue. some of them even ask about it, speed, range, etc

3 Likes

This has been my experience as well

Nah, it’d definitely be the remote that was claimed to be the weapon

6 Likes

What’s videotape?

3 Likes

Sorry is a thing from the 90’s lol. I mean record video on your smart Phone!

1 Like

wonder what they would’ve done if he’d whipped out one of these things

1 Like

Your right! I forgot about the remote. Especially if he had a trigger remote.

Hey @pennyboard You are lucky to be alive right now!

Ha ha. I never forget about the remote looking like a weapon because I’m in Saint Louis. LoLz

Take a look at the back of your ticket and see if they allow you to fight a ticket by “written declaration.” If so, google that term and look at the process. You are basically pitching your argument to a judge in writing. The officer will have an opportunity to present evidence in writing as well. Here’s the interesting part though, at the end of your declaration, you write something along the lines of “if I am found guilty of this violation, I request a court date to defend this in person.” It basically gives you 2 chances to get out of it. Also, cops are paid overtime to show up in person for court (so they rarely skip that), BUT they have to complete the documentation for a written declaration during their normal work hours. Many cops don’t want to bother with it. If the cop doesn’t write to the court,you get off…even if your defense was simply “I’m not guilty.” If he does write, and the judge agrees with the cops assessment, you still get your day in court. This is usually an option for all moving violations which it sounds like is the way he wrote it.

8 Likes

I hope all goes well. I keep a printed copy of the law in my backpack whenever I ride. I’ve only been stopped once by an officer. I wasn’t wearing a helmet at the time.:open_mouth: He stated the law and asked me about the board a little then let me go. He was pretty cool about it. I think he was just waiting for the opportunity to use his new found knowledge.

2 Likes

I would have but the rear camera on my phone is currently non-operational. I did get a cool a picture out of it off someone’s snapchat story.

9 Likes

Thank you, I’ll will definitely check to see if I can do this and try this out.

1 Like

This was in Westwood, about a block from the UCLA campus. I’ve passed by cops as well, and every single one of them has told me to get off the street, but none of them have given me a ticket until this guy. Most are pretty cool about it once I show them the law and explain. Not this guy though. He wouldn’t even discuss it with me or listen when I tried to show him the law.

3 Likes

Were you running FOC on hub motors? Cause I wouldn’t believe it was electric either. :wink: Good luck. Next time, gotta wear a helmet cam or chest cam.

1 Like

To be legally riding your board in LA you need to wear a helmet and not exceed 20mph. So set a limit on your vesc to top at 20mph if you want to take your board to the court.

1 Like

Isn’t it 15mph? :persevere:

1 Like

15 on bike trails

1 Like

So 20 on the street 15 in the bike lane or is that only on off road bike trails?

Ohh …you might be right. But remember about the helmet too.thats super important so noone can jump on you.