Updating my VESC to latest firmware and don't know which firmware to download

Firmware 2.16 is the wrong one… You need 2.18

I know the latest is 2.18 but the vesc software keeps telling me my vesc is 2.16, i guess they never did the firmware update to the latest. So should I upload 2.16 first and then do the 2.18 after just to get my vesc going?

See it says “FIRMWARE VERSION ON CONNECTED VESC : 2.16”

yes and then it says… SUPPORTED FIRMWARES 2.17-2.18.

IS 2.16 PART OF 2.17-2.18?

Seems that the upload is not working on you VESC. After the upload it should show 2.18 but it seems that it doesn’t do that. Just try if it works with my firmware that i showed in my last post. Otherwise i also don’t know what to do. Maybe the bootloader is missing.

1 Like

ok, thanks, i’ll keep you updated.

What is a bootloader and how can i install it? If i download your program, do i have to input command promps to the vesc?

My firmware behaves the same as the original firmware. Only has some extra features. But you need my modded version of the BLDC-tool. If the upload of this firmware also doesn’t work then it seems that the bootloader is missing. I recommend to watch some videos about the VESC configuration on YouTube. Otherwise it will be very time consuming when we give you a advice and you ask immediately if that advice is correct.

1 Like

1- Can you post the link to the exact firmware that i need to your modded version so i can download it and try it?

2- If i need a bootloader, where can i find it and how do i install it?

3- I have been watching videos on youtube on vesc for a week, i have created a library of all the videos i have watched over and over, i have learned the basics of the vesc already, i’ve even sent emails to (onloop), (Jacob from vesc.net.au) and no one has replied back to me yet. So your software will be my last option that i’m gonna try, can you please walk me through it? If this doesnt work, im throwing the vesc in the trash, i contacted the place that i bought it from for a return and refund this morning, im still waiting for the reply back from them.

Believe me, I appreciate everything you have done for me, i just want this vesc working already, my first build and all new parts i have purchased, this eboard is a gift to my son and it has giving me headache after headache with this vesc. Again, Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Her you can find my mod.

Just use the BLDC-Tool for your windows machine “BLDC-Tool_ACKMANIAC_Mod_Windows 2_53.zip” and flash the VESC with the firmware file “VESC_Ackmaniac_2_53.bin”. If this doesn’t work then you would need to install a bootloader.

But you can also use the BLDC-Tool for Firmware version 2.16 http://vesc.net.au/BLDC-TOOL/Windows/OLD%20Versions/

1 Like

im gonna try it all, i let you know what happens, thanks again.

Dropbox says file cannot be found

dropbox says file doesnt exist. i downloaded old versions of vesc 2.16 yesterday and i tried the link you gave me of 2.16 also but no luck. it still says (BUFFER ERASE:TIMEOUT) and OLD FIRMWARE.

I also contacted onloop for help but no reply back yet. im gonna order another vesc, do you know from what website I can order a vesc that has been tested and with current firmwares?

Thank you @Ackmaniac for trying to help me with this issue.

1 Like

It’s what @Ackmaniac does best. Or make super awesome firmware. :smiley:

Just download the 2.16 bldc-tool in the second link I posted and try to work with that one. Then it should be possible to work with that one instead of flashing the firmware of the current firmware on the vesc is 2.16. If that works then it also might be possible to flash a new firmware via that bldc-tool.

And this here should be the correct link for my firmware mod if you want to give it a try.

Dropbox

And you also should try another USB cable and USB Port. I also had a Laptop where one of the USB Ports caused trouble.

1 Like

ok, thank you

UPDATE: FINALLY GOT MY VESC TO CONNECT AND UPDATE?:sunglasses: Much thanks to all the people that were involved and sharing their amazing knowledge in Eboards. Now, I need help with the numbers to program the vesc settings, turnigy 6374 sk3 149kv, Torque Boards on off switch, 2X Zippy Flightmax 5000mAh 3s batts. Here is a pic. of the current settings based on stuff I read. (would also like to setup regen. braking, dont really need reverse at the moment) still trying to learn all this stuff, many thank yous to all, my son is a very happy kid today.

1 Like

Hey! Just got my VESC and BLDC says its version 2.18. The vesc is 4.12. I would like to try out Ackmaniacs mods, cause it seems real cool :slight_smile: The thing is I cant get the firmware upload working. There is no errors or anything, just says FW Upload done. The vesv does not restart as ive seen it do on Youtube. It just lits up the blue led and nothing more. When Power cycling and connecting it still says 2.18. @Tampaesk8er did you do anything special to get it working? The link for all bldc versions seems to be down.