Urethane Heat Sinks

RipTide Sports has come up with a way to make Urethane conduct heat without conducting electricity. The compound is almost as heat efficient as Aluminum at half the weight and can be molded! We are looking for applications, any ideas? A couple of concepts we are considering are outrunner and direct drive sleeves to protect and bleed heat off the motor and battery holders. Conceptual photos are shown.28 40 15

36 Likes

Oh wow, those motor sleeves would be a great idea. I’m sure there can be tons of stuff.

Focbox sleeves too!

7 Likes

Even just pads to mount our vesc on would be great. Help pull heat from the unit and protect from vibrations.

14 Likes

Yeah this would be great for different sized motor cans!

I think thermal pads in general are already readily available for cheap enough in all sorts of sizes… But a vesc, focbox, unity screw in mount? That would be cool @Skunk.

I love the idea of battery isolating heat sinking urethane. I think the killer would be space though, so even a small modular stackable sleeve similar to what’s pictured, but tighter stack would be awesome. Something that can work between single or double, like what’s pictured… Maybe hexagonal interlocking sleeves with cuts for nickel strips and balance wire routing?

@Alphamail, how about thermal mass? Thermal conductivity similar to Aluminum? I’m not a heat dissipation engineer, but with similar conductivity, is this new formula able to absorb a lot of heat and dissipate it like aluminum or is it more like a good conductor like a thermal pad and not so much meant for the dissipation of heat by itself, or?

This is super cool. When testing the TB DDs, they did warm up quite a bit… I’d totally be down for some finned motor can sleeves for both abrasion resistance for the motors and heat dissipation, and/or some covers somewhere on the hangar itself to dissipate additional heat there. I was considering some extra small heatsinks applied with thermal adhesive on the flat spots on the hangar for when I get my DDs, probably not though cause that’s janky. If we had a purpose made heat dissipation sleeve though…

2 Likes

I want a synchronous timing belt that takes heat from the motor pulley and puts in on the wheel pulley, to prevent snow from accumulating there and breaking the belt

11 Likes

The tests I have done are fairly basic but indicate the compound is about 70% of what an Aluminum piece of the same size conducts. As for shed speed, I have not been able to test that. I am thinking making some simple parts to test in real world applications would speak volumes for go or no go!

2 Likes

is the urethane good enough quality to ride on? I would love to see some hub motor use this maybe we can expect some 110mm hub motor sleeves @Hummie

2 Likes

I was talking to Luke about that at the Bako event before we knew the material does not conduct electricity, no idea what the ride quality would be until we test.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine it can be as bad as the 5mm on some of these cheap hubs - I can’t wait to find out! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a data sheet? Commercially available? I’ve never heard of something that conducts heat that well but not electricity that isn’t a metal. They seem to go hand in hand. Or else have crap physical qualities and a filled resin.
It would be great to be able to roll the heat away onto the road. For the tire core more so needed resistance to deformation under stress and heat.

5 Likes

Honestly Brad, if your math checks out Electric skateboarding might be a really terrible application for your product right? There’s so many industries that could use something like this.

7 Likes

Motor can sleeves would be great, especially for dd systems. Production cost would probably be quite high if you had to have molds for each diameter of can but it be very useful.

1 Like

No data sheet just experimental results

1 Like

Maybe a set of Raptor 2 outwheels to keep the motors even cooler? Would be an interesting experiment if at all possible.

3 Likes

62mm id, 70mm od and 65mm length. Beveled entry for easier installation and ribbed for her pleasure :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Id say to try motor sleeves to seal popular motor sizes. This market is MUCH larger than either DD or hub.

It should be trivial to see the motor temp difference with and without sleeves.

@Alphamail is the compund clear or opaque?

2 Likes

It comes in one color only…Black

11 Likes

A version that seals the can would be nice.

You can have it in any color, as long as the color is black.

11 Likes

Im guessing you added graphene platelets?

Whats the raw cost when compared to “normal” thane?

1 Like