Using LiFePo4 battery?

What specs are you looking for over and above that which is listed on the page?

I was pretty worried too when I bought them - I had earlier bought a different brand (though they look exactly the same) and was disappointed when they unceremoniously disappeared.

But these are working out well - caveat that I don’t have that many cycles on them - like a lot of people here I enjoy building the boards more than riding them, but they’ve been solid. I won’t hesitate to use them when I build my powerwall :slight_smile:

If it weren’t for the weight and the 3.2v vs 3.7v nominal I’d have stuck with them.

Anywhere that I can get a 12s1p A123 26650 charger? Its difficult to find it for some reason

A Boosted board charger works. All you have to do is search for 43.2v lithium chargers.

Boosted charger is rather expensive, especially when it comes to chipping to the uk

Have you tried searching for a 43.2v lithium power supply? Mean Well supplies are easily adjustable internally with a potentiometer.

I do want the ones that has black plastic case

is that the first generation of the second generation charger? Does it matters?

Yes it matters.

V1 is 43.2V V2 is 50V

Also what bms are you using for your 12s1p battery?

Kinda late to the thread here but my build also uses LiFePO4 batteries - the downside is the board is kind of heavy but I’m not gonna worry about dying in a fire while I’m sleeping lol

LiFePO4s can still go into thermal runaway… that is no joke a lot of energy being converted to heat. Things can easily go south with any battery chemistry. Has to be properly monitored and managed all the time.

True, they get hot and outgas but I’d rather have that in case of failure than my battery pack spewing fire

Dude, you can count the people that had lipos actually spew fire on 1 hand. I just don’t understand why people wanna throw that crap around. Doesn’t help at all.

Yeah… mostly uninformed people spew that kind of info around, but safety is a concern with any battery chemistry.

Lipos are the most popular hobby grade chemistry so the chances of a poorly managed battery being used in normal operation are high and that usually leads in a failure of some kinda, either by thermal runaway or something more explosive.

I’d rather have the worst case failure mode be what you see in the three videos below, which is much less violent than the worst case failure mode of a LiPo. I make sure to double check everything in my build (and so do most people, especially those on this forum) so that normal operation is fine but you never know what can happen. I saw a video where someone riding a boosted had some driver turn into them and break their board in half. What happens if you’re using prismatic LiPos or Li-Ion? Most likely something worse than these three videos.

Non-Lifepo4:

What do you mean by it “doesn’t help at all?”

Everything is a risk assessment with probability involved, and I’d rather not be liable for damages due to near explosive thermal runaway when someone else fucks up my build.

I dig it. I preach balance charging. I believe in managing your battery system no matter the chemistry.

I push my lipos hard, and I’ve never even had one get puffy. You just have to be careful, think about what your doing. I don’t think lipos are significantly less safe than other chemistries.

1 Like

Hey)

Could anyone please tell me the best (preferably smallest) BMS I could use with the LiFePo4 cells in 12s1p configuration? Or maybe does anyone know where I could order a custom BMS to be made for me?

Thanks

BesTech and SuPower both offer an number of LiFePo4 BMSs for 12s. Out out of these two I’d probably go for BesTech (you’ll have to order minimum of 2), as they do some customisation and seem to have a better reputation around here, some models include an e-switch. The voltage cutoffs for the SuPower BMSs won’t really work well for my A123 setup; could be ok for yours.

A SmartBMS would work, they’d work for any chemistry / battery config. There’s a few options including JTAGs open source BMS, and Raphael Chang’s BMS. Timelines on these may be a bit longer than you’d like…

If you’re after something that can be ordered right now, then the Energus TinyBMS could be your best bet. It’s also probably one of the smallest BMSs you’ll find. Think I’m leaning towards this option right now.

3 Likes

Thanks you for your answer @lock !

I found a company which is willing to fully customise the BMS for me, could anyone please tell me: What is the peak charge and discharge current for the 12s1p, 39V 2500 mAh system?
Do I require any output for cooling?
Do I need any communication with the outside world and if so, what protocol?
Any other special requirements do I need the BMS to do? I’m looking to make the closest battery to the Boosted battery.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Maybe someone know what settings I can use for lifepo4 battery in Ackmaniac app? 10% 20% 30% 40%… Because lifepo4 works betwen 3.3-3v. Maybe someoone know how to configure it correct. Thank you!