V4.12 Direct VESC - OllinBoardCo

@racidon Hard to give any real feedback before testing this in “real world conditions”. Might be up to the task but I am leaning towards a 12 fet version for eMTB.

@jmasta Thanks, but this wasn’t too hard to do. KiCad is surprisingly easy to use. Thank Benjamin Vedder! http://vedder.se/2015/01/vesc-open-source-esc/

2 Likes

Hey! I’m fairly new here. Can you add links to where we can buy the pcb and a bom if possible? Looking to buy and assemble myself. Hopefully doable under $120?

Thanks!

Here is the PCB : https://oshpark.com/shared_projects The BOM is mostly the same than the V4.12 there except for the MOSFETs :

But you need VERY good SMD soldering skills and some serious equipement (hot air gun/reflow oven).

2 Likes

Just know that the DRV could most likely not handle that. It would be a too high gate charge from two IRF7749 in parallel. Also your current design looks like a waste of place just to maintain the dimensions of the HW 4.12 VESC. Because almost all the heat is transferred over the top and not the PCB, I don’t see a problem placing them opposite.

Yeah, we have accounted for the gate charge. It should be fine but we wont know until we build it.

@PXSS I wouldn’t try this unless you are fairly confident. It can get costly very quickly if you make mistakes. Plus you will need a hot air machine at the very least.

Thanks for the warning! I am an aerospace engineer with fairly good soldering skills and tools. I got a soldering station and a full rework hot air station.

It’s just my first time getting my feet wet with electric longboards. :wink:

2 Likes

If you can hold off for a few days I will be updating the files on OshPark, going to expose the main power via so we can tin it with a bead of solder for better current handling. Might not be necessary but I have yet to run these very hard for an extended period.

1 Like

Maybe you don’t know yet but what do u think the amp limits will be?

50 to 60 amps constant. Possibly more if you add a cooling fan. Really can’t say until we get more bench testing done.

Any chance of there being the possibility to upgrade your standard 4.12 VESCs to ones with direct FETs or do these require a different PCB layout?

Yeah it is a different layout but the good news for you is you have Ollin VESC’s so they have value even if they are not working. :wink: You can sell them after you upgrade!

Really the main goal for these is to provide more current handling for more extreme conditions and applications. If your current setup is working without hitting the overheat protection then you really don’t need to upgrade.

Haha no worries, thought that might be the case. My dual VESC’s atm start to hit their overheating protection near the top of some of the gnarlier hills around my house but it’s generally a non issue for 95% of my riding so probably not worth the upgrade for me at this stage :stuck_out_tongue:

Let me know when you think it would be ready for real world testing I’d be keen to give it a go. I’m pretty confident that if you think it will work it likely will :slight_smile:

Finished making some revisions last night and sent the files to OshPark for pcb fabrication.

The power stage is now equal or better to what we see on version 6. I have also moved and added several capacitors to improve FOC performance and increase reliability.

We are also taking a more aggressive approach in designing the heatsink/case, double sided vs a single base. Nearly double the thermal mass and surface area as V6 so we expect to handle more than 70 amps constant.

We do not expect any problems with our latest revision so we will be moving this into production once we verify the changes.

9 Likes

Super exciting! Can’t wait to pick one of these up!

Do you have anytime frame for pre ordering/delivery? I want to pick one up ASAP tbh

1 Like

I should have some g-code for the aluminum case finished later this week. I will post photos and make an announcement regarding pre-orders and pricing as soon as we finish!

4 Likes

Would you sell without any heatsink? I will use a custom one that integrates with the design of the enclosure and board

More than 60amps? O.o you think that will be emtb ready then? if I remember correctly my battery design (12s7p) really shouldn’t operate higher than 60amps continuous anyway :slight_smile:

is this replacing the standard 4.12 or is this a high power version?