Vacuum Pump for Carbon Fiber

Preparing to build a Carbon Fiber electronics compartment (2 of them actually, one for ESC and one for batteries). I am wondering if anyone can tell me if this pump good enough for me: MOA-P101-CD - http://gastmfg.com/products/compressors-and-pumps/diaphragms/moa

This is the spec from Gasp website

I have seen a similar pump at FiberGlast (http://www.fibreglast.com/product/1-16hp-vacuum-pump-00888/Vacuum_Bagging_Pumps) that look similar to this although it is for 110V countries.

Would love to know if 24in-Hg is enough for vacuum bagging Carbon Fiber.

Thanks!

I think I can…

The first thing…I have seen people on silverfish (before it was shuted down) who made carbon fiber board with lungs style foam core board who were using just roarockit vacuum kit…

If you use vacuum pump you will get better results! I personally use Thomas vacuum pump I bought from ebay.de as used, it is capable of making 26.5 inches of HG and it cost me just around 60$, which is good, isnt it? :open_mouth:

If you want to use resin infusion, it is recommended to use 30", but I discussed this with an engineer from havel composites and he said that you can use a little bit weaker vacuum pump and you will get good results too…

Where are you from?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply,

I thought about using a good manual pump. I have a check valve so I can disconnect it after I pump the air out and just leave it at that.

But I read people saying that if there is a tiny leak I will not discover it until it is too late, and even if I would it will still be too late to bag everything again. So they say this is where the pump is needed to let it work continuously.

I am not doing infusion just yet. Just regular lamination currently with some breather foam to absorb the residual epoxy.

Thomas vacuum pump do sound awesome, but since I am from Israel, I am guessing the shipping cost will cost more than the pump itself. I will, however, check this out because it might still be worth it, since the local dealer wants about 450$ for the MOA-P101-CD pump :frowning:

In light of this, do you think 24 in-Hg is enough? Do you think a manual pump and a check valve is good option? (e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-In-1-Brake-Fluid-Bleeder-Handheld-Manual-Vacuum-Pistol-Tester-Pump-Tool-Kit-/152542282801?epid=876471351&hash=item23843a8431:g:3nwAAOSwq8BZcF~D) Still would love to know from anyone that specifically used MOA-P101-CD pump or similar pump from Gast please.

Thanks!

I dont really know, for a lamination it might be enough :slight_smile:

You can make your own vacuum pump from a refrigerator :slight_smile: quite cheap option certainly avialable in Israel :slight_smile: Also check your local second hands, bazaars if there is any option :slight_smile: Also I have seen a guide where someone made a vacuum pump from a bike pump…you can also use venturi vacuum generator with a sompressor, should work too from what I know :slight_smile:

About the leaks…if you use manual pump, you should use bag that has the least space for leaks…use sleeve vacuum bag so you dont have to seal all the sides or bag that is similar to roarockit’s bag…

1 Like