Vanguard 10s3p dual R-spec Build

Due to the curve of the board and the MDF is flat and square to the board I used Bondo To fill in the gaps and fill in those curved contours of the board. So bondo, not really like the best to use because I had to sand it off the board where I didn’t put down petroleum jelly as a parting agent.

This new mold really turned out way better then any of my last ones. I need to add another layer of glass but this fits great now!

4 Likes

Sweet setup man!

Only concernt/critique is the enclosure looks like it might be a bit close to the rear truck - room for motors/mounts?

That’s the front for just the battery. I will have to make another one for the speed controllers once I get them back from enertion.

ugh… that makes more sense! Cool man. Nice work!!

1 Like

whats the weight in that case ? Would you consider carbon fiber ?

I don’t have a scale small enough to weigh it… SO That is a good thing right! And I don’t think I would because of the cost of carbon fiber vs two layers of fiberglass isn’t really worth it to me. This in total cost $10 to make at this point. And it works great!

1 Like

I am currently building a board very similar to yours, so I have a few questions:

• What are the exact specs of the flat cables you used, how did you make the grooves, etc.?
  • Which BMS did you use?
  • How are you doing the power switch? Is that part of the BMS?
  • Have you had any issues with board flex messing with your enclosures?
  • To what degree is this setup water resistant?

Thanks for posting your setup, this post has already been very helpful.

My Parts:

• Vanguard Flex 3
  • Caliber Trucks
  • DIY/Torque Boards V4 motor mounts (x2)
  • DIY/Torque Boards 16T/36T gears
  • DIY/Torque Boards 6355 190kv Sensored motors
  • VESC (x2)
  • 10s2p Samsung 18650 pack with BMS (cheap eBay BMS, bypassed for discharge)
  • DIY/Torque Boards ON-OFF switch 120A

I have finally received my VESC back from enertion after it threw out a fault code and they had it for like a month and a half. But it’s back and on the board. I went ahead and built myself a conduit to hold the motor cables and modded the motor mounts to accommodate it. Then I sprayed it all down with liquid electrical tape to make it more water resistant. And finished my mold for the back enclosure. Hope to get to fiberglass tomorrow as well as send them both off for truck bed lining.

2 Likes

I’ll get back to you on this one. I’m only in for a quick update. I’ll try to get a better detailed list for you in the morning.

2 Likes

This build is inspiring! Good job!

1 Like

Just a quick update. I don’t have internet at the moment so it has taken me a bit to get back with you guys. Sorry but here is where my enclosures sit as of now.

The design on this one is much better looking than the battery enclosure. I may go back to that one. But for now a bit of sanding then primer.

And everything off to get the truck bed liner.

1 Like

Flat Wies I went with these but could have done without the third one on both sides. Honestly once it was fiberglassed over with like 3 layers the flex was no longer an issue and the wires are smoothly into the top of the board and feels great with the grip tape on it.

BMS

Power Switch I built into my battery pack. There are probably better ways to go about this and on my next build I will probably get the one built into the BMS.

Water resistance, I just sprayed everything down with this. I don’t know how well it’s going to work but you can see the photos above about how it looks on my VESC. I will get back to you on it’s effectiveness.

I like your choice of parts. I went with Enertion because it was “in stock” after several months of waiting and it not really being. I used Torqueboards stuff in the past and wish I stuck with them. I can honestly never recommend Enertion to anyone after dealing with their “customer service” So I may have an Enertion Parts sell soon.

It’s not that their parts are bad. Because they are really great quality. But if anything goes wrong, and that is highly likely, you’re going to be walking a few months without any communication.

I don’t mean to blast them, but it was a bad experience all the way around.

1 Like

First off, thanks for getting back to me with the parts. Also, your enclosure looks amazing.

Could you possibly upload dimensions for for the enclosures (especially the VESC enclosure)

And how exactly are you attaching the enclosures to the board? Are you drilling through or using screw inserts?

That’s a really cool idea. Is this mainly for durability or looks?

Thanks again for your continued build progress updates.

VESC Config questions: are you planning on running the board in BLDC of FOC mode? (I have been riding mine in FOC mode and find it MUCH BETTER/smoother/quieter than BLDC, but the community on here seems to dislike FOC because of blown VESCS… so IDK if I’ll stick to it)

Thanks! I guess I can upload the templates I used. I will take them to have them scanned in next week and I can post them here. I just made them out of MDF and then shaped them down. Pretty easy.

After I finished the enclosures I sat them down right where they are going to go and marked out where to install these. I also installed them with a bit of epoxy as I tightened them down flush. Just to keep vibrations from backing them out. and just some regular M6 screws to hold down your enclosure. I will be using thread locker on them to keep them from vibrating out. I wanted it to have a professional feel to it incase I have to remove things or sell the board it would be as if it came from a factory that way.

And the truck bed liner is both! We have a guy that makes his own speakers and subs here and all his stuff is bullet proof almost. We smash them toss them and they don’t get a scratch. SO it seemed like a great product to use here.

And so far I’m in BLDC, and which one is up to you. That is kind of where I can’t help you. There comes a point where you have to experiment and try things on your own. (insert seen from the lego movie about not following instructions and building creatively on your own)

So I’m more or less set on using FOC mode sensors now as it is MUCH quieter and smoother which is especially important when trying to ride around a college campus and inside large buildings. Better to be stealthy. :sunglasses:

I will be doing a C18 mod to my vescs though as I already have to replace the DRV chip.

I finally finished the enclosure for the VESCs and installed it. And I couldn’t wait. I strapped everything on it and took it for a spin around the block and holy crap is it fast!! Honestly I will need to do a lot of work on BLDC to get it great but it already has a mean acceleration and a meaner break lol.

Is there any way to get the throttle to ease out of it instead of the abrupt jerk when you stop accelerating and start to cruise?

9 Likes

How did you get the core of the wheels black? Dye?

I just scuffed it up, taped it off. And hit it with some Spray paint. Idk how well it will hold but we will see.

Here are the templates I used to make my Enclosure molds out of MDF to vacuum bag my Fiberglas to. I scanned them in and they wouldn’t come in actual size so I added in the dimensions of what I have and you can scale it to however you want.

Also a helpful hint is to wrap the mold in painters tape and then spray it down with some sort of a parting agent to keep it from adhering to the mold. I just used pam cooking spray… High tech!!

I just laid the template out and then traced it onto the wood, then flipped it over and mirrored it to the other side to ensure a symmetrical mold.