Vanguard Orange | 10s | SK3 I VESC

Really nice build! I’m interested in setting up the same battery on my build and was wondering how it is all wired. Specifically where do you connect the balancing leads to the batteries and why are there 6 balancing leads for 5 pairs of batteries on each row? Is one just connected to the ground wire? Any pics before you wrapped it? And lastly what kind of real world speed/distance are you getting?

1 Like

Thank you! Here is the picture of wiring

There is 6 wires in JST connector because 5 of the leads balance the cells and one negative (the red wire)

Sorry, I forgot to take any pictures during assembly, but I hope that the picture helps!

I have tested the board in parking garage and with gearing ratio of 14/36 I think it will max 40kmh. I will post real results when I am able to ride outside. Battery is 185Wh so theoretically the range will be 18,5km with one charge.

7 Likes

Just what I was looking for. Thank you!

@Dunkirk Could you give a diagram on how you discharge in series and charge in parallel without removal of your enclosure? I’m confused as to how you have wired everything. Thanks!

@Dunkirk Also would be very interested in the same enclosure as well. What do you think would be the price?

Would this be considered a 10s battery or 5s? Thanks!

It’s 2 5S Batteries in series :smile:

@Dunkirk, do you have any photos of the welding of the batteries? Would it be possible to do with a soldering iron?

@Haick @JLabs There is two separate batteries (5s2p). As you see in the pictures there is two black xt60 connectors. I plug the batteries in series when I’m riding and when charging I connect them in parallel :smiley: I would charge 40€ per enclosure. If you want to save some money I can sell enclosures 25€ per peace uncut, so you get rid off the excess plastic.

@xalitust Sorry I forgot to take any pics during the assembly. It is possible to do that with soldering iron but there is a huge risk that you harm your sells, so I do not recommend doing so. I bet that in your city is some kind of battery store that can do welding for you.

So you are running the board at 20s? Or using one 10s pack at a time and then switching? And how did you make ur abs enclosure?? I was thinking about makeing one for my electronics instead of 3d printing… Thanks!

There are 20 cells total, but he’s grouping every 2 cells together in parallel, so it’s a 10s battery after hooking each separate battery in series (5s2p + 5s2p = 10s2p).

1 Like

I made the enclosures by using vacuum. There is link in first post that opens gallery where is picture of it:)

Ok @Dunkirk Can you post a diagram of the two packs when being used and when being charged? Thanks!

Here you go! First picture is discharging and second is charging :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thank You!!! :slight_smile: @Dunkirk

I made a new enclosure for backup battery pack. Easy to change if I run out of juice. It contains two 5ah 5s Zippys. Here is some pictures:

5 Likes

Hyvältä näyttää! Looking good!

@Dunkirk what kind of range are you getting from your 10s2p pack?

I managed to travel 14km with full charge to 34V. In my opinion it is pretty good range with me weighing 95kg.

Only problem with this pack is that the voltage sag is so big. So I can’t limit the battery cut off. I have to monitor the battery voltage manually. I’m now building two 5s3p pack to deal with this problem. It is going to have same specs than original Space cell.

1 Like

That’s what I was wondering…voltage sag…it sounds pretty severe …

Made two of these. Hope that these solve the voltage sag problem. What values do you guys suggest for Motor and Battery max?

4 Likes