Variable braking on VESC - doable or not?

As a temporary measure, you can try the lipo batteries you were using - They can generally handle a lot more charging current.

I only have a single 1600mAh Li-Po pack in hand. Will try to get my hands on more to run them in parallel.

1 Like

That lipo pack is to small for eskate application even in parallel it’s not worth it.

Well, it’s been changed to a 11000mAh Li-Po pack.

But still the gradual braking does not seem observable. :frowning:

I someone help me out here. In his first post he said a Chinese 250w motor? I don’t think that motor would provide very much brake Force at all. Think this is the problem? Max amps for his voltage is like 11a…

Did you properly configure your ppm range? Also do note that unsensored FOC tends to break hard at slow speed.

1 Like

Thanks, E1Allen.

I could feel that the Chinese motor is providing decent braking, but the action is binary instead of gradual. I think most of us would appreciate the problem of snap-braking especially with going downhill.

Thanks, telnol.

Using BLDC Tool, I can visualise the PPM range from my RC. It does cover the full 0 to 100% range in a gradual sweep.

I have also got an Arduino pumping out the same control waveform to let me develop without tying one hand to the RC.

BTW, the motor is sensored, and i have connected them to the VESC. The sensor pattern discovered in “Start Detection” in BLDC Tool has been copied into the motor configuration.

Quick stupid question: at what speed have you tested the brakes?

The testing was done at low RPM, typically below 1000.

Just to avoid confusion. All braking is regen. https://vesc-project.com/node/398

Correct, danielz.

I am not attempting active braking, although that would make an interesting addition to supplement the VESC. :smirk:

This may be your problem. The braking at low speed can be a bit jerky, especially in sensorless FOC. Try it at higher speed.

there’s also a setting on some versions of bldc tool (missing in ack’s iirc) called something like “minimum ERPM to apply full brake”, you can try lowering that value to like 500.

Oh dear. If the low speed is the problem, then I have to go back to the drawing board. The motor is on direct drive with planetary gears, chain or belt to play with.

Although I use it with sensors enabled, there wasn’t much difference in controllability compared to the case when I had them disabled.

The active braking idea above has sown a seed. Good or bad - I don’t know.

“Without” gear, chain or belt.

Have you modified the firmware? Try using stock version 2.18

Try this.

Thanks, b264.

I am supposed to be using stock 2.18 firmware. How could I tell if it isn’t stock?

When connected to BLDC Tool, Firmware 2.18 is always reported.

1 Like

You aren’t supposed to be using anything in particular, you can use whatever you want by whomever you want. I just asked because you mentioned you were developing and the old 2.18 release by Benjamin Vedder has been heavily tested by members here. So let’s start with one we know doesn’t have a braking problem while we troubleshoot.

1 Like