Vedder antispark, design problem or implementation problem?

Was actually looking to buy one, but sadly its out of stock :pensive:

The problem of hyped products sold at the perfect moments… :see_no_evil: So many broken FlierSwitches and so on…

2 Likes

I broke 2 antisparks in one week :confused:

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about some ways of solving this issue, and this one i’m particularly fond of.

The momentary switch connects a resistor in series and precharges the vesc caps, while a secondary cap gets charged to turn on a latching output for the mosfet, which would turn on as fast as possible. After a certain amount of time, the circuit latches and is considered on and the momentary button can be released. Similarly the button will need to be held for the circuit to turn off.

The diagram is a bit off, since i haven’t figured out how to use the right mosfet in the simulator.

@b264 any opinions? or more importantly anything that screams wrong?

This is a great video about the linear region operation. The standard irfs7730 fets can’t even handle a single amp safely until the voltage difference across the drain and source drops to 20V. Its no wonder the fets blow so easily with typical high voltage packs.

1 Like

actually looking at the simulation of the switch, the inrush current is actually adequately small for the fets, so I’m at a loss again as to why the fets blow. I’ll throw my switch under an oscilloscope later to verify the current really is low enough.