Velox Boards: Big Boys Playing with Great Toys

might need to pay them a visit one weekend.

2 Likes

Great comments from all, you guys know your stuff! As for the “Judge, Jury, and Executioner” comment, I hope that grinding sound I hear is not the axe sharpening…lol.

WRT Evoheyax comment, I totally agree.The board was designed with simplicity in mind. The only adjustment you have is Preload (sag) for the suspension, and tire pressure. There are two marine switches, FWD and RWD, both on for 4WD. No battery gauge, or beepers to tell you when you battery is dead.

Moe’s comment on Sprung and Un-sprung weight is also a great one. But you also have to look at the ratio of spung (Hub, spindle and tire) to unsprung (Rider and board). In a off-road environment, the rear wheels get pelted by roost constantly from the front wheels. Belts, and cv’s are not as reliable as a waterproof simple hub.

There are two models the SX is 68 lbs and is shorter and more agile. See photo.2018_Mainville_0144

1 Like

Single motor, front and rear differential with driveshafts would minimize unsprung weight and overall weight while reducing equipment.

2 Likes

Isn’t that what Baja did with CV joints attached to the wheel with a pulley?

1 Like

Moe is correct, single motor and differentials would reduce the unsprung weight. To date I do not believe anybody has made a diff small-light-strong enough for a esk8 yet. However adding the diff, drive gears, cv’s, boots, bearings may even increase OAL wieght, and would sacrifice the independent drive control of each wheel. Another consideration is the limited articulation angle of cv’s, that limits suspension travel.

Honestly, the boards rides like a Cadillac, and sucks up bumps small and large making the sprung/unsprung weight consideration minor overall.

Love the drawing!

1 Like

Look into Baja board design they use CV axles on a pulley system

2 Likes

Looks like they also have 4 motors and no differential.

2 Likes

Yes they have 4 motors but the motors are sprung weight in their design

2 Likes

It looks cool…I want to have it.

I have the new Velox 6. This thing is Amazing. It seems to ride better over rough terrain than on the street. I’ve been on a Baja board and, it was close, but I believe the Velox to be the better board. It has more power and less upkeep. The board is very powerful! I’m a big guy and it takes everything I can through at it! I think there should be a league for racing all terrain skateboards. I would race my Velox board. It beats the Baja.

1 Like