VESC 147A Motor Current - "Abs Over Current ERROR"

Hi guys,

today I flashed my home made(soldered everything manually) VESC and everything seemed fine, until I tried to detect the motors parameters. It only jumped a bit and then stopped. The bldc tool says:“bad detection result received”. In order to narrow down the error I disconnected the motor from the vesc. However in the realtime data tab it says:" Fault code abs over current". The motor current says: 147A, which obviously is not correct, since the battery current is less than 0.2A. So these two results doesn’t sound good. For the VESC I used 0,5mOhm shunt instead of 1mOhm… Can this fact cause such an error? I did a continuity test for the MOSFETS circuit and there where no shorts or solder bridges.

If anyone has an explanation for the errors I get or even has a suggestion to solve the problem I’d appreciate it.

Thanks, Oliver

was anything (like a belt) hooked up to the motor when you ran the detection?

Hi Jeff,

no the motor could have spun freely. Sorry if I expressed myself in an unclear way… After my first failed test I disconnected the Motor completely from the vesc. The over-current error appears if I connect a battery to the vesc and connect it to the bldc tool without a motor connected to it.

Also I just noticed that the vesc draws power the whole time without doing anything. It’s around 4.4Watts. Maybe knowing this helps finding a solution

Solved it. One of the shunts wasn’t soldered correctly. One of the two small pins didn’t have contact with the smd pad.