Vesc 6 118kv motor 12s 6600

Hi lads I was asked to update this Trampa … So I took it out for a spin it’s has Vesc 6 1 x 118 kv Trampa motor 12s 6600 :battery: after a mile or so it was slowing down stuck at about 10 mph I put my hand on the motor it was so hot you could fry an egg on it … Got back to the house well limped at 10mph battery was at 45v Motor was till hot…it needs a firm ware update so I don’t know if it’s reading right here’s a few pics

Think you forgot the pics :smile:

1 Like

Pic are the I can see them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Pics are not great

screenshot dude

I’ll do screen shot in a sec

screen shots done

Maybe try with 50A Motor max, i think the Trampa Motors can’t handle 60A as they are smaller than typical 6374 ones. Also you might want to try FOC and see if it does things better.

1 Like

45A is the limit for the 118KV, not 60A. Lower KV motors can’t swallow high Amps. The copper wire is thinner and the resistance higher. Once the motor gets hot, the copper resistance goes up, making things even worse. More heat, more resistance, more heat, more resistance etc. 60A on the brakes is also way to much. 30A-35A is about right.

Frank

1 Like

I thought lower KV motors had thicker copper due to having less windings?

1 Like

Hi Frank is this looking better

Frank do you think this is why the motor was red hot

Your motor should not get that hot, since the Vesc-Tool has a temperature limit option and a feature called temperature offset decrease. The software should decrease power, once a critical temp is reached. You can define that temp. yourself

Frank

do you have a setup xml file that i could upload into the vesc 6.do the setting look ok now

How should the VESC know the temperature of the motor ? The temperature function is for the VESC itself , or am i missing something ?

Its why the Board ended up here after a mile or so the speed dropped i call it limp mode. it was only when i went out on it when it went into limp mode the vesc was cold but the motor was red hot I have 3 Boards and even after 10 miles my motors dont get that hot

The motor has hall and temp sensors. In consequence the Vesc knows the motor temp.

Frank

1 Like

Ohh cool …

1 Like

Please visit www.vesc-project.com and click on documentation, manuals, tweaks and safety…

If your motor runs to hot, you can lose your brakes. This is why we implemented a feature called acceleration temperature decrease, giving temp. headroom for the brakes to work.

Frank

1 Like

It looks like the vesc6 was never set up from the start … I’m not great with vesc setting but it’s running better faster and motor is staying cooler… Time to give it back