Vesc 6, more torque from 0 km/h?

What do you think is the most fun. 12s @ 100amp (around 4400watt) or 20s @ 100 amps (around 7320 watt) :stuck_out_tongue: ?? But other than that, you are right :slight_smile:

@Tello1969

Definitely more power is better, but if you want more torque you should reconfigure your equipment (motor with lower KV or smaller wheel size). Otherwise, you increase max speed but torque will remain the same. Again, if my calculations is correct. I’m not sure cuz I’m new to this. I hope someone will correct me if so.

Anyway, the main thing right now to make sure that your power when accelerating is really 4440W

@Drom is right. You will not expect more torque with more voltage. You need to force more current through your motor.

The reason why I’m not sure is that VESC is positioned as a controller with a constant voltage and throttle changes the frequency (technology that distinguishes it from the usual ESC, besides programmability), but I haven’t learned much about it. And if so, then the power during acceleration from 0 km/h directly depends on the voltage, but it seems strange to me

@drom The VESC uses https://www.google.com/search?q=space+vector+modulation. Think of it like a buck converter. If your motor has a 0.1 ohm coil, then at most you can put 100A through it, at only 10V.

1 Like

Thanks guys… I know i’m on the edge with 100amp right now(If i want my vesc to last) Thats why i follow threads like this, wich will most likely allso be able to handle more current (and voltage = speed) https://forum./t/some-new-focers-84v-vesc-6-based-controllers/1513/106

I still don’t figure out if it’s possible to apply 50 Volts to the motor immediately from 0 RPM or voltage increases with increasing RPM only :thinking:

You can do a very demonstrative test, it looks like you have two 6S li-po batteries in series (right?) If you set VESC to 6S with same current (100A), unplug one of battery, and if you’ll get same torque from 0kpm and max speed 24kpm then i was right :grin:

1 Like

A VESC is a switch that’s clever that turns on and off very fast in different ways a switch dose not care what’s after it it still sends the volts thro it

Voltage is how hard and fast the power is pushed through a circuit.

If you turn the kettle on it uses the full amps and voltage but takes time to heat up (ignoring the added resistance heat creates) vesc volts, amps and rpm Works in the same way

Taking them basic things if a 10v circuit was switched on 1/2 the time and off the other 1/2 the average is 5v but there was 10v when it was switched on

Volts do not make speed on there own it’s like saying a shoelace walks down a road also needs a animal to move it a trainer to lace it through and a partner to work in harmony with

Hopefully this helps with your and have some ideas on what you might need to research to get a better understanding on electricity and it’s effects and how different things interact and relate with it.

2 Likes

Few years ago I needed a device with stepper motor (12V) and programmable parameters for shooting timelapse. Some guy made it for me using Anduino, display and buttons. So I could set the RPM of the stepping motor, pulse interval in milliseconds, and the pulse length in milliseconds. At the time when the motor didn’t turn, it was still under voltage, so that the motor could resist the load and pull my camera.

Theoretically, current and voltage should remain constant, but when I set up short intervals / pulses (for example, 20ms/10ms) in practice, this led to the motor having much less torque than at 100ms/50ms, as if power was 5 times less :thinking: I know it’s different motors types and principle of operation, but that’s what confuses me.

So VESC with a 12S battery immediately go with 50V, but does it mean, that the torque from 0kpm will be 2 times higher than with a 6S battery?

Btw, sorry for my English, i’m still learning :slightly_smiling_face:

Finally, the complete response :grinning:

1 Like

Stepper Monterey are designed to have loads of tork to start moving with the trade off of been bad at continued movement (why thay miss steps and there’s no feed back to tell the controller thay have) the issue sounds as tho it’s bade coding or the controller was unable to micro control the step intervals to me.