VESC and nyko kama, what is going on?!

Please categorise this topic. It fits in eboard electronics.

I think I have noticed that the closer I go the motor cables with the reciever, the more drop outs. Holding the reciever above motor cables and giving some throttle causes it to cut out instantly and continously. Most other people doesn’t seem to have longer cables and better placement though?

this thread needs more pictures. Y’all know I can’t reed!

Yeah, gonna have to go sleep now and hope it works better with the reciever away from the motor cables. Will take pictures tomorrow with and actual camera and not my cell phone.

That IS weird. Put a multimeter across VCC and GND while doing this exact test and verify the vesc 5v supply isn’t doing weird stuff before you start doubting the soldering.

So while the motor wires seemed to cause interference it didn’t help in actual riding conditions. Will try measuring the voltage later. I suspect you mean 3.3 V @trbt555, right?

@lowguido and then there were pictures.

Problem can be reproduced by tapping the circled antenna area with my finger. Starting to think the antenna has bad connection.

Small flexing gap, should it be there? I’m really starting to suspect the receiver is screwed for some reason.

The ceramic component is very slightly burnt from a soldering iron, in my mind that shouldn’t be the problem but might get one quickly later and swap it out just to be safe.

that reciever is actually 2 boards joined together only by the solder joints on the edge. perhaps one of the joins is loose. I hot glue the boards together now after I accidentally tore them apart once

Funny you say that, I just put some superglue in the gap so that’s gone. Cannot see any problems with the soldering between the boards but might try heat it up and let the solder flow a bit and see if that helps.

Yeah, I meant 3.3V but if you can reproduce the problem by tapping the antenna, you don’t need to look any further. Probably a bad connection between both pcb’s. You’ll never be able to trust it, I’d chuck it and get a new one.

Yeah, I’m really starting to narrow it down to that too.

Don’t even know where to get a new one anymore though, most sellers won’t ship to Sweden and would rather not wait a million weeks :’(

dont be like that… a bit of solder and shes good as new.

Maybe, just tried with no good result, might take a trip and lend some tools a bit later (my soldering iron SUCKS).

@trbt555, @lowGuido So I just got a new reciever and nunchuck, seems to show at least some of the same symptoms even with the new one. Have not had time to go outside to test it though but not feeling too positive, guess there might be something wrong with the VESC? :’(

What firmware you using on VESC ? Have you tried flashing it with a different version?

2.16 on hardware 4.10. Flashed the default firmware as the BLDC tool prompted that it needed to be updated to work with my version of bldc tool.

edit: no, not tried any other

edit2: I’ve used the same JST connector both times though but it doesn’t drop out more when jiggling it around so doubt that’s it but the only thing I can think of. Gonna have to go outside later and test some.

@trbt555 measured the 3.3 pin and it gives a stable 3.343 volts.

Worked much better last night, could actually ride without problems. Might have narrowed it down to a bad JST connector (although haven’t tried the old receiver with new JST). Had some surprises with cruise control and braking though so might have to change some settings in BLDC because I guess I might hit some limit when braking (or cruising downhill).

I have found the cruise control on fw 2.16 surges too much. I have rolled back to fw 1.14 for smooth cruise. I think that the lose jst might be the issue with your droppouts .

Yeah I saw you wrote that in another thread. Have been skipping cruise control in the meanwhile, might try other firmware later on.

However it seems my VESC reboots when braking(mainly downhill) or accelerating up a hill. I guess I might hit some limit? Judging from the settings in my second post in this thread, is something looking wrong or should I try change some values? Not really sure what to try.

Voltage cut off? Battery was at 39 V when i finished riding so not all that close to 33 V but maybe that is it anyway?

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: VESC + Nyko Nunchuck, unstable cruise !?

Did you ever fix these problems? what was the culprit?

1 Like