Vesc battery max capacity (protection and connections)

@nick191 - you want to see the wiring of my board? you can setup yours any way that works w/ your deck and battery placement, and length of cables…

OK, here’s my GF’s board as an example:

This isn’t anything fancy or particularly well thought out. my first DIY and test bed. I’m going to re-do it soon w/ a new wheel gear and enclosures for everything.

2 Likes

Thanks @sl33py so you need a voltage alarm on lipo batteries? Will it damage the batteries if I drain them to low?

Yes you need a lipo alarm. And Yes, this is the best way to damage your cells - over discharge them and they will puff or otherwise have issues. Usually one weak cell will sag waaay early or puff or have problems. Best investment is a decent little lipo alarm. I usually set them to alarm at 3.6 or 3.7v (with heavy use and sag it will go a bit lower sometimes - so some insurance against that so don’t damage the lipo).

GL!

@sl33py Do you need one per battery or one for the two of them

on per battery… or if you’re like me in that pic, i measured both and the battery with the lowest cell got the checker. Just get two - i was lazy. They are like $2 ea on ebay/aliexpress. not $.

1 Like

you may plan to put a case on your stuff but maybe you will get lazy…and then your batteries will be hit with ricocheting rocks and likely ruined. I’ve ruined many and lucky I didn’t ruin my escs too. . maybe even just cover them with a quick layer of fiberglass and resin or even easier and quicker with something else like just a thin hard plastic sheet.

i hear you. I inspect before charging, and GF rides it, so top speed is no joke about 8mph. It’s on the to-do list.

Are they caliber II trucks and an enertion motor mount? @sl33py

Yep the Caliber II 50’s w/ Enertion mount. This has a printed wheel gear 36t, not sure #t motor gear. 15’ish i’d guess.

Enertion, DIYes, and a few others out there now all work well. Realize that the aluminum mounts will act as heatsink and help cool your motor, where the CF (BLING!) Enertion doesn’t do this as well (CF insulates). Not a big deal and love the look and really well made mount (rock solid). I’ve had ADS v1, Enertion, Psychotiller, DIYes v2 (soon v3 and v4 arrive).

Fiddly but my preferred is the V2 DIYes. Enertion next for super simplicity and ease of setup. The newer v4 DIYes should be cool as still 360* rotate ability. Will do some small comparison when i get them and can see what i like/dislike.

1 Like

have i got the wrong motor i think i have its a sk3 5055 280 kv will it still work?@sl33py

280kv is a bit high. But should work. You will want to make sure not to give it too much voltage (likely more than 8s - but i would need to run a calculator to confirm), so you avoid 60k ERPM. If you are still using VESC as ESC (don’t recall - please confirm)?

It likely will have less “off the line” or starting torque, and less hill climbing torque vs a lower kv motor. but if it’s a PITA to return or otherwise easier to keep - give it a shot. A kick or two to start and you should be ok. 260kv used to be the recommended kv motor - so not too far off from that and it worked well (but cogged quite a bit at start w/o a kick or two).

GL!

I’m using an enertion vesc @sl33py have everything but the enertion wheel, drive train and the nano controller which will hopefully come once they sort out the controller.