Vesc Capicators Problem

Hey guys,

I’ve been riding the Torqboards setup i purchased from diyelectricskateborads for a month now and yesterday when i plugged in my battery (6s lipo) via XT90 to the vedder vesc @chaka i heard a small spark sound and the vesc didnot turn on.

i’ve checked visually and figured there is no damage to the vesc itself and after reading here a bit i figured i should test the votlage before and after the capacitor box, and what do you know?! the read before the capacitor is good (24 volts for my 6s 70% charged) and 0 volts after the capacitors…

This is bitter sweet since for once i was very dissapointed with my vesc faulting on me so fast but 2ndly i was happy to realize its the capacitors and that this vesc could be saved.

Question is, how to i solve this safely? can i go to an electric shop and get new capacitors of some kind and rewire them trough? Any suggestions?

I’ll be posting the thrilling video of my issue soon

If the VESC is receiving 0 volts there may be a faulty solder joint or something on the capacitor board like a broken copper trace, the capacitors are in parallel with the battery and are only there to smooth out the voltage ripples or spikes going into the battery, so if there is something wrong with the capacitors the esc should be still getting voltage unless there is a short, which you would definitely know about! I would carefully examine the capacitor board and solder joints and check for anything wrong. I hope this helps.

I’ve uploaded the video, attached link here

https://sendvid.com/lobywqmi

i did a visual check on the capacitors, they look well in all connection point but when checking the outlet from them to the vesc there is no current passing.

Check the traces on the PCB where the caps are soldered on. If there are any Burn marks on it, it may be the easiest to just change the complete capPCB

didnt spot anything burnt

update

ive attached a one cell 3.6 battery to the output of the capacitor board and there is one blinking blue light from the vesc yet it is not recognized by the pc.

https://sendvid.com/eedfhnwa

any toughts?

Check the impedance of the 3.3V rail and 5V. My guess is you have a low impedance on the 3.3v

@blasto im not sure how to do that, can you explain on the vesc pic maybe? and lets assum your right, whats the solution?

Need to send it in for repair… should be fairly easy fix. where are you located?

Take a multimeter, put it in impedance (resistance, Ohm) check the 5V to gnd and the 3.3V to gnd. while the vesc is powered off. Both voltage rail should be identified on the silkscreen near the connectors.

If i understood correctly, than the read for the 3.3 on 200k ohm resistance 0.1 and on the 5v is 15.2

is that it?

and im from israel, if its an easy fix maybe i could do it myself?

You have a short circuit on the 3.3V rail, most common component that is prone to fail in this case is the can transceiver, U401.

If you are able to remove it (without destroying everything), measure again, you’ll notice a much higher resistance

im afraid im incapable of doing so. is that the only solution? removing/replacing it?

im afraid im incapable of doing so. is that the only solution? removing/replacing it?

Well the more destructive method would be to use some flush cutters and clip each leg of U401 off… Then again, i’m not 100% sure that this is your problem.

so who you said could help? :confused:

maybe you need to ship it back to @torqueboards.

Looks like you’re missing a cap at C26

well it is not really relevant, it for FOC purpose and had been added on the 4.12 version. So @Torqueboard probably use the 4.10BOM on 4.12 PCB, nothing to really worry about except for FOC.

3 Likes

also try this to check the can tranceiver

1 Like

I did the test you showed, the results are that i get a steady current on the c25 as you can see in the video and when diods touch eachother they go wild and unsteady

what do you think?