VESC DRV8302 Failures and Repair Options

Hey do u have any with dvr fault i have a guy here in ireland who has changed chips for me befor He wants to give it ago cost for u will be just shipping to me Ill send it back to u for testing

@JohnnyMeduse hopefully you know, whats the part # for this diode(D4), my fume extractor ate it while I was moving it out of the way to replace all the caps lol

3 Likes

It’s a Shottky 60V 2A 771-PMEG6020ER-115 (parts number on mouser)

2 Likes

Awesome thanks

While I’m ordering parts is there anything I should/could upgrade?

Hello,

I have purchased one enertion vesc controller 4.12 version and after setup with 2 lipos 24V, motor has worked one or two spins and then fault DRV8302 has appeard in the pc tool. Temperature of the Mosfet is 29 degrees and the range of voltage is fine too. Can you help me if I’m missing anything important?

If I’m not mistaken…these are the ollin ESC upgrades for reliability. I’m sure you can find this info on vedders forum…

C1,C8,C9,C39,C40,C43,C44,C49 10uF 50V replaced with 4.7uF 100V

C37,C51 15uF 100v replaced with 22uF 100v

C24,C10,C11,C12,C13,C14,C16,C17,C18,C20,C23,C26,C31,C35,C41,C52,C401 2.2uF 16v replaced with 4.7uf 16v

3 Likes

Yep got all those, went for the high temp tolerant versions too, don’t know if it’ll help but it can’t hurt :wink:

I fried both my VESCs while testing out FOC on my mountainboard. Anybody in San Diego willing to help repair them? If not, what re my options?

send them to @JohnnyMeduse

1 Like

You can do it yourself too. Drv chips are about $6, order 3 or four and have it. A hot air reflow station is $50 ish on eBay and will serve you useful in many other hobbies. I’ve never soldered till I replaced my drv and it wasn’t horrible

1 Like

finally someone knowing Louis on forum just watching his videos would give soldering practice

@JohnnyMeduse how much temp are you ussing to remove the chip from the board?

Around 240C… but if it is lead free it could take up to two minutes to really liquify the tin, using small circle around the chip.

Please let me know if you are still willing to do this! I have a bad DRV8302 chip in my brand new torque boards VESC (firm 4.18). I am heading up to LA and would gladly be willing to drop it off along with double what you quoted! Sorry if this isn’t a PM, I signed up for the first time after being a long time lurker just to message you. The VESC still operates for the most part.

what temp did you use?

Around 240deg Celsius

I was hoping not to have to visit the DRV8302 failure threads but here I am.

Pair of new VESCs from @Karen_Vanda had them in a box since delivered and just tried to power them up together (over can and powered at same time)

Only one motor spins, the other gives the DRV error fault :frowning: So seems like I’ve had success replacing the thermocouple chip on my 3d printer just now & I want to jump straight to the advanced lessons of esk8 soldering.

Tools Hakko with which I’ve become very attached to A butane powered soldering torch Iroda Solderpro 120, which could be used as a heat gun since it has a torch tip Infrared thermometer with location laser Amtech flux RMA-223 Cored solder

Would it be a lot easier to use the torch and get some solder paste?

I’ve seen a couple of vids and this one seemed to meet success even though to me looks done ham-fistedly Pros and cons of each method? Do I need solder paste? I have zero smd soldering experience

@Karen_Vanda how’a my warranty?:joy:

Nb. Plastic does not like my improv heat gun

1 Like

Better pic is this ok to mount a new chip? See any damage apart from the pin port holders?

Take the plastic off by pulling it over the pins before soldering