VESC DRV8302 Fault

Well this could be one of many things, first post a picture of your setup including the motor connections

Does the DRV fault come up as soon as you turn it on? I remember before my VESC ultimately died, it also had a DRV error, but it wasn’t consistent. When I turned it on, it would run fine, forward and reverse, but if I put it in a neutral state the VESC would flash red and show the DRV fault, then it would reset itself and repeat the process.

I did a motor detection and the DRV fault somehow disappeared. No idea what happened.

This was happening while the Space Cell Pro 4 was hooked up, but I don’t believe my issues were cause by it.

can do, just have to charge my phone. How much of the motor internal wires be shielded? They seem like they are able to touch each other, however it looks to me they are all part of the windings in general

It might have the error on boot as it does flash red when first turned on however the DRV fault isn’t there by the time I have it connected and only appears if I move the throttle

They’re enamel coated for insulation. Sometimes this can wear off and short though…

Well now I’m even having troubles keeping a stable connection via USB. It only lasts a few seconds before it freezes up and won’t connect again until reboot. So two main questions remain unanswered What ESC can I use in place? @onloop if I paid extra for a VESC would you deliver express via AusPost? (not dealing with Couriers Please ever again)

So should any of the 3 phase wires make any connection with another? IE if I connected a light and battery using two of the wires should that light then light up?

Not sure how windings are done, but if they are shorting you can tell by trying to rotate the rotor can (no power needed). If there’s heavy resistance, then it’s shorting. You can also test it out by touching two of the phase wires together when unplugged.

Use a different cable, also try a different PC.

to use AUS POST express i would need to literally go to the post office, lots of time & manual work for that to happen, Couriers Please collect from my door. Also, i probably don’t have any VESC in stock at the moment, that’s a question for my warehouse manager. [email protected]

there are no other ESC i would recommend.

You really need to post pictures of what you are doing, what is the setup like… Two dead VESC in a row normally means user error. Something is going wrong somewhere.

Confirmed it isn’t currently shorting. but if the wires are put on the right angle they do. Seems the motor casing is quite sharp and has slowly cut into them. I’ll pull it apart over the weekend and this issue myself I think so when I finally get my other VESC I don’t have this issue again. It would also explain why the damn thing came to a dead stop and threw me with the amount of resistance that applies.

yea that’ll do it. you’ll most likely need a new ESC too, or repair your current one.

Tried a different computer and 3 different cables.

Aus Post does offer eparcels, they also have Star Track that do pick up. However your business not mine. I just won’t purchase from anyone now using couriers please. The VESC you guys sent me on the 3rd of Aug showed up at my door on the 5th (SA -> Vic). The other VESC you sent me on the 2nd of Aug is currently in Perth. Couriers Please outright lied to me multiple times in regards to this parcel and others. I will post pictures once my phone is charged. But here’s one of tracking the parcel I just mentioned

Edit: Thought I should add my first VESC failed due to error on your part or your warehouse’s part as admitted by you guys. So making the assumption of User error because of a past fault (even though I gave information on that) is quite insulting.

A career in computers will make it impossible for me to solder a new DRV on :slight_smile: My hands are way too shakey for that

I added images of how bad my soldering skills are (with limited tools) (please note that it did have electrical tape over it like the rest. There’s also images of the VESC showing no obvious burns although at this stage I’m quite certain it’s a dead DRV. I might talk to chaka about getting him to repair for a cost and throw an idea his way about making it easier to use. I’d also like to ask does anyone know of some form intermediary connection you could use for the mosfets to detect short circuits and cut power to the VESC? I’m sure car ESCs have this. There’s also an image of how I setup to use my setup with the computer (easier than having an entire board next to my PC).

The last of the motor and wires are showing the cut marks that have occurred. I’m going to put sikaflex in and around this area to prevent the wires moving. It should also help prevent “wicking” with water if I were to hit a puddle.