VESC failure rates?

If you push the limitis its likely to fail, if you dont, use reasonable settings there shouldnt be any problems

Yes just search it and you will find someone has

1 Like

@Deckoz and his crew managed get 23 vesc from TB and they were all bad he said or something along the lines they not lasting, some come same factory. From what am aware

Yea… 26… 17 boards, mixed bldc/hybrid/foc. All dead within 2 months

I will say, there was 3 that lasted. Beyond those that failed. They were BLDC on 12s…

I find this fascinating that the bldc 10s all died. The current on 12s must be significantly less due to the increased voltage, allowing the fets and drv to stay cooler.

1 Like

Ah I failed at search but I believe @jinra tested, and found current to increase with voltage. It’s as if higher voltage allows more current to flow.

Did all the vesc fail in similar ways?

Thanks for the info. I just sent my TB VESC to “The Board Tech” for an evaluation and repair. I hope it can be repaired. I hope it is worth repairing. I emailed Olins about when they might have their VESC’s back in stock and have got no reply. FOC box is my other option. I hate throwing away $

Chaka might not be doing any DIY anymore dude, regardless you might not hear back from him dude?

Thanks, I must have been speed reading that post. I thought he was going to be focusing on Olins business in general, not just “completes”.

For the same “load” the current will be less. However it’s easy to surpass that load with the extra voltage. Think about acks firmware.

If you set the max load watts to be 1512 watts per motor. On 10s motor max 42amps is 36v * 42 = 1512w On 12s motor max 34a is 44.4v * 34a = 1512w~

Obviously if you don’t limit your load…the motor will pull up to whatever you allow it. This is a good and a bad thing but you can play with it.

For example. Running a high motor Amp max without a watt limit. Let’s choose a 100a motor max for simplicity. We have a duty cycle max of .95

Voltage = 42v Motor max = 100a

At 0.25 duty cycle (42v*.25dc)100a=1050w 0.5 duty cycle (42v.5dc)100a=2100w 0.75 duty cycle (42v.75dc)100a=3150w 0.95 duty cycle (42v.95dc)*100a=3990w

If you set a max watts. You can effectively make the board have really good dig acceleration while taming the top to be smooth. When your rolling at 20mph and reengaging the throttle puts you at about .35-.45 duty cycle. Having 100amps to the motor instantaneously is not ideal. Getting more like 20-45 is smooth. So let’s pick 45a max for end throttle taper. 1750w is a nice middle wattage range for 6374 and will keep them running on the cooler side.

Our settings Voltage = 42v Motor max = 100a Max watts = 1750w

At 0.25 duty cycle (42v*.25dc)100a=1050w 0.5 duty cycle 1750w/(42v.5dc)= 83a 0.75 duty cycle 1750w/(42v*.75dc)=55.5a 0.95 duty cycle 1750w/(42v*.95dc)=43.85a

Just something to think about…anyway amps go up as the voltage goes down…but you have a higher power(wattage) capability as the volts go up with the same amperage

Damn… wish I read this earlier… bought 2, 2 dead, RMA limbo

If “The Board Tech” cannot fix mine then it will have to be FOC BOX or Miami Electric Boards. Olin’s is out of the VESC business.

I’ve never tested 12s as I don’t have any power sources that provide that voltage.

Thanks for peeking in.

IIRC was it something like, you swapped out a 6s pack for 10s hoping to reduce amps, and actually the amps increased on 10s? I hope I’m not mixing you up with someone else.

Yea i dont think that was me, I don’t use 6s either. For the same wattage, current should be lower. However, more voltage = more speed as well which can take more current to overcome load from the additional speed.

I think I had a brain fail. What I was misremembering is related to temperature, not current.

@deckoz, I’m still processing your post. duty cycle refers to pwm, come on brain work!

Duty cycle is the percentage of work potential. Ie 50% duty cycle is 21 volts of the potential 42v of a 42v system.

The motor runs at the voltage of duty. Ie if you have telemetry and see 31% duty cycle on a 10s while your battery is at 39.83v

.31*39.83v = 12.34v is what voltage your motor is running at in that exact moment of time…

Does that make sense?

It makes sense, yeah, but I have to fit the PWM part into my brain for it to stick correctly. :slight_smile:

I have some maytech ones which are apparently bad, ended up getting focboxes instead. Would be interesting to know how the stack up.

Its a shame that we all spend hundreds of dollars and euros on vescs that they burn after just a few weeks of use. I don’t get it. It’s not supposed to be like that. They are not cheap. I don’t care about the reason. I have bought only two vescs from maytech and they got down after 5 or 6 uses. And it wasnt my error believe me. They should cost 20 euros each for this sample rate of bad quality.

1 Like

Haven’t had a problem with my VESC from diy/torqueboards, granted this is my third but the first two were fried due to user (my own) errors. That said I’m not pushing near any limits really I keep my amperage artificially limited to 30A on the battery 40A on the motor using the metr app and go lower if I’m giving the control over to someone else to try it out since no one expects the torque. Also running BLDC mode never rolled the dice on FOC mode but on 10S and have been riding on it for over a year and again only had some fried ones early on from my own shorting things while powered in bad ways.