VESC FAQ | Connect The Nyko Kama wireless wii NunChuck

If the thread was clear to me I wouldn’t be asking the question but thanks anayway.

get a soldering iron and solder the wires from the nunchuck receiver on to the VESC circuit board. Or a JST connector to plug in. There are lots of pictures of how to do it in this thread. there really is all of the information up there. I even posted and instructional video on how to solder

Interestingly it seems that the latest VESC that I just got has a 7-pin connector where the previous 6-pin was located in the image at the top of this thread… From reading the pin descriptions on the bottom of the board, it seems that there’s now a pin for “ADC2” and I think I can still follow the steps in this thread and just plug my 6-pin female JST in to the 6 pins that are closest to the other port (further from the motor wires)

Does that seem right?

Someone posted a pic in another thread. Just search 7 pin connector

Yeah, you got it. Just leave adc2 open.

@siggs3000 that’s correct based on my read of it.

Thanks @chaka

So the pins that I will not be using are:

• adc2
  • 5v
  • adc

Correct! Red-3.3v, Black-GND, Blue-SDX/TX, Green-SCL/RX.

1 Like

@lowGuido or maybe @claudiofiore88 or @jacobbloy; to solder the Nyko Kama receiver directly to VESC, do I need to remove the JST connector port? If so, any tips on doing it safely? Once removed, then it’s just a through-hole soldering job, like soldering the servo wires to VESC, correct?

the best way to do it is to use a desoldering iron such as this one.

gently remove all the solder from each pin and then just slide the connector off the board.

be careful not to lift the tracks!

1 Like

just solder onto the pads on the back of the VESC instead of completely removing the JST connector… I actually do both for redundancy - I solder my nyko receiver to the back of the VESC and also use the JST connector… seems to work better now.

1 Like

The new VESC has a 7 pin port where the Nyko PCB attatches to, the previous had 6 pins. Where should I solder the wires to now?

Here you go.

1 Like

The wires are green, blue, red and black. That just illustrates plugging a 6 pin connector into a 7 pin port. Im looking for the sequence for the wiring. Without realising there was a 7th pin I soldered it on from bottom to top leaving 2 pins after the red and I get no power to the Nyko PCB.

According to the top of this thread: Red = VCC -> VCC Black = GND -> GND Green = Clock -> RX_SCL Blue = Data -> TX_SDA

Schematic for 4.11 here.

3 Likes

@jacobbloy …i got the jst connection pin but the receiver still seems to drop out every now and then is this a issue in the Bdlc tool R should I solder to improve connection also I was thinking maybe it could be a sensor problem I am using a unsensored motor and hall sensors cannot be detected when I do a motor detection… but it seems to connect somtime when i get to rolling good and the controls kick in but im scared they would lose signal at a crucial time is this a easily fix problem also i would like to add every connection seems pretty secure

Did it loose signal from timt to time i just did mine threw connectors and it goes in and out i thought signal would be a little more solid whats your thoughts? Please help

Hello everyone, I soldered my kama PCB to the VESC as instructed. The nunchuck connects instantly without a problem. Unfortunately I can’t get the display in the BLDC tool to move from 50%. I have watched Ben’s videos and followed along but it still doesn’t work. The led on the PCB blinks once when I hit the Z or C buttons but does nothing when moving the joystick. Could this be a problem with the actual nunchuck?

1 Like

I just remembered that I have my wires looped about 6 turns through a toroid. maybe that’s why I dont get dropoouts.

2 Likes

Can we see some pics of that when you get a chance?