VESC FAQ | ❎ WARNING ❎ Risk of short

Are you talking about the the pins that are causing the punctures in the cables? I plan on using an RC receiver for my remote, and I was planning on putting hot glue on those pins, but maybe I shouldn’t now.

I had the receiver pins covered because I was using them, he asked me if they were exposed and if they shorted, I said no, not that pins. Using an RC receiver and putting a drop of hot glue on those pins is fine

Ah okay, I’m gonna drop some glue on it tomorrow, and take it to an RC place some time soon.

i bought two of the first run, both didn’t last 5 minutes on a bench test, DRV Error $300.00 down the drain. Bought a Evolve GT instead of messing around with DIY.

1 Like

There’s stuff like support and warrant you know? I respect your choice of getting a GT, but no need to say ‘’$300.00 down the drain’’ when there is potentially a solution.

We offer 1-year replacement warranty on VESC http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/1yr-vesc-replacement-warranty/

We also offer free customer service & there is plenty of resources here to help with troubleshooting.

3 Likes

Thanks for the email Jason potentially saved me a lot of money and hassle 12 vesc’'s turning up next week gota love this community

2 Likes

I like this method too. IMO, I’d use flush cut pliers or flush cut end nippers. It should be way easier than whipping out the hot glue gun. Anyone could have this job done before the glue gun had time to heat up. I use these flush cut end nippers for my guitar builds. They come in handy for lots of stuff. @onloop Good catch on the quality control! :thumbsup:

1 Like

That’s exactly what happened to mine, Linda already contacted me and I’ll organise postage monday hopefully since good ol’ AusPost aren’t opened weekends. If I had a working car at the moment it would be faster to drive to you mate lol (20 hour round trip - with breaks) :slight_smile: Looks like murphy is trying to push your limits bud

1 Like

Jaycar bud :slight_smile:

I would say it’s likely punctured enough, due to the size of the pins and the thickness of the insulation it doesn’t take much to pierce, one of the pierce marks on mine looks like that but my multimeter showed a connection without any pressure on it

I thought you were going dual with two VESCs - so only one would have the actual receiver pins covered. You could also check with a multimeter just like @racidon did to be sure it got pierced.

WOW, that is a pretty bad and very obvious error. Not much thought or quality control gone into that before shipping them out. Putting extra insulation is not a solution, all you are then doing is delaying the inevitable. Our boards endure heavy vibration all the time we are riding, Those pins will chew through any insulation over time. As has been mentioned a few times already, the only real solution it to cut those pins flush - if you have a file to hand it would be good to round the cut off stubs as well.

Well and hot glue or epoxy. Also it does not matter if they “chew” through anything when the thickness is the same as the pin - there can then be no physical contact between wire and pin. Just being a smartass here but you see there are pleanty of other solutions and it is not that big of a deal (at least to me)

2 Likes

Sure hot glue and epoxy are possibilities as well, but you are treating the symptoms and not the cause. Personally I still think the best solution is to cut the pins flush, but hey - everyone to their own. Not a big deal until your long awaited VESC dies on you due to a silly mistake that really should not have happened. Great that is was pointed out quite early so hopefully not many problems have occurred.

flush cut nippers would definitely work well.

dremelling them down with a small sanding barrel would probably work well also as long as you mind the direction of metal dust spray (there’s an arrow on the dremel that will tell you what direction the tool is spinning) and make sure the board is blown off completely before powering on, you don’t want solder dust everywhere on the pcb when you fire it up. A small baggie and some tape would eliminate that issue completely. this would likely take less than 30 seconds and would leave a smoother, duller surface than nippers.

coating the points in a fat bead of hot glue also works when using a detail gun, the hotter guns will make the glue runnier and you’ll have to apply it more than once as the glue will settle around the points during the first round.

Shrink tubing or adding tape to the wires only delays the puncture, it will eventually still happen if the points are still there and the wire is still rubbing or pressing on them.

This has pretty much always been a problem. My very first set of VESCs fell victim to this issue but didn’t fail completely until later, which made the problem harder to diagnose.

***** If any of you decide to cut the pin or Dremel them down, be sure to redo the soldering on the pin. Because these process may cause Micro-Fracture on the solder. ****. Also, cutting pin on connector it is not something that is recommend by IPC standard, so always be careful and be aware that you may brake the connection internally. (the barrel inside the PCB)

Will that cause a drv8302 fault? I’ve just shipped my VESC to the manufacturer here in the US to get repaired or replaced. I thought it FOC caused the fault. It worked flawlessly on BLDC for a week but I never checked the cables.

no hot glue gun needed, just a the glue stick and a lighter

sacrificing a small child to Dark Lord Skatan will also result in better conductivity, fewer shorts, and generally longer life of the unit, not to mention completely eliminate any DRV issues.

4 Likes