This article is a Warning & Guide for how to properly handle the VESC.
There has been lots of issue lately with people blowing up their VESC… It’s really the worst feeling when this happens! I have now blown 3 myself. If I had better knowledge I could have prevented this from happening.
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTES ABOUT VESC
- The VESC is not a finished product! - It’s only just reached BETA stage.
- The VESC is a bare PCB with no protective case/cover - It can be damaged very easily!
- The VESC should be installed into a protective case OR insulation heat shrink tube before use.
- When powered up the VESC can be shorted very easily against ANY conductive material, even carbon fiber!
- Electrostatic Discharge could damage the VESC.
- Install a fuse between the VESC and power supply to help prevent damage from short circuits.
- Power the VESC using a low voltage low amperage power supply (e.g. from a laptop) when doing motor detection and parameter adjustments in the BLDC tool
- Make a Backup of the default VESC settings before you change anything.
- The VESC doesn’t come with any instructions! - You will need to read up on it yourself!
- Handle the VESC with Caution.