VESC Firmware update

This is interesting, maybe during the manufacturing process, the bootloader should be loaded before the fw, to avoid any contention on the SWD. Because i did retry loading the bootloader 3-4 times before it passed.

I’ll make a new thread of my project i am building when i receive my parts back from anodizing. It has nothing todo with skateboards, but i am using the vesc, with a high kv motor (2000 kv)

I’m building a Japanese style sumo robot for the upcomming event in Tokyo december 13th

1 Like

I’m curious to see your project, sounds really special!

I think you’re right about the VESC bootloader.It should indeed be flashed before booting up the device else the FW would prohibit the overwriting of the bootloader.

I ordered two VESC’s from @onloop, from their October batch. Is this something I’m gonna have to worry about?

I don’t think so since it’s a new batch and I ordered one too. :wink:

I’m getting one too- I guess we won’t know until we have them, but the current vesc is a success, so I can only imagine the next version will be even better.

1 Like

x-post from Vedder as i’m not sure he’s on this forum:

[quote=“vedder”]I just tested hw4.8 on my rc buggy with lizards 1717 motor (the most difficult testing platform I have access to right now) and it is a big improvement over 4.7 for sure. I have changed the shunts to 0.5mOhm to allow higher current and set the current limit to 120A. Even without extra capacitors there were no drv faults. With 4.7 I would get drv faults at that current now and then even with extra capacitors (these were nor permanent though and got reset after one second). The bad news is that the current offset is still there, but it is better than before. This means that v4.8 is better than 4.7 in every possible way, so if you want to order something now I strongly recommend 4.8.

Regarding the current offset that is not solver completely yet, I have an idea about a routing update. If I have time I will fix that tomorrow and order v4.9 tomorrow for testing. It should then arrive in a few weeks.

I also have a BLDC motor with an encoder now, so I will try to get started with FOC this weekend. The plan is to first make it work with an encoder then implement a sensorless observer.[/quote]

I am hoping to get some 4.8 boards at some point, but might wait for 4.9 if it helps with the current offset (not 100% sure what that does…). Luckily i have 5 VESC’s currently so backups. (also have 4 boards - 2 are dual motor).

1 Like

hi mate, this October batch will not have this problem, Jason and i will be uploaded the FW and bootloader our self’s last time it was the factory. the october build will be 4.8 but if you have interest in v4.10 then i would contact jason i think he was looking to get some made asap.

any contributions help i would love if you contribute to benjamin him self but i do spend bit of time preparing these files.

but the real reason for this post FW1.14 is know out so i have update windows and OS X bldc tool to work. as always i have left v1.13 available and the others. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bym9XrdeViekfkRETmRndENkcVpySW5sWjIzOWdrLThCY01HY3BPOXpqYVRHUlQxS0R5ZlU&usp=sharing

i had a problem with v1.13 not allowing me to do motor detection but I’m yet to test if v1.14 fixes this.

1 Like

I am trying to update my VESC firmware from 1.1 to 1.4. I have a discovery board with stlinkv2, how do I flash the bootloader? I have no idea what the latter 2 terms mean.

Thanks, Moja.

You need to go through the steps described here (firmware and bootloader section): http://vedder.se/2015/01/vesc-open-source-esc/

Prior to this you need to do the steps described in the preparation section.

I have the same issue where it says the FW update is complete but it doesnt actually change the FW firmware version. Same thing happened last time I updated too. Looks like i’ll be flashing with the ST link again.

I’d like to know how to fix this problem though, its a PITA having to take the VESCs out for flashing. Would’ve thought that flashing through the ST link last time I had the issue would have fixed any problems with the bootloader but seems not. Any ideas on how to fix it? I’ve tried on windows 7 and 8

i loaded the boot loader with linux and a discovery board and follow the steps described by @elkick

On that note, does anyone have the complied bootloader file handy? I dont have access to a linux computer to compile it myself…