VESC - Hard Brake error

Hmm, im pretty sure most of us use BLDC. Braking and FOC is very VERY hit and miss. If you have long lead wires from your battery to the VESC you will have problems. As for faults, they don’t go away until you shut down the VESC, so as long as you keep it on, all the faults are still there for you to check.

Interesting… With how nice FOC is, I just figured everybody was using it… I have a lot of hills around my place also, the warranties should cover any monetary risk and as a rule of thumb I try to not go faster than I am willing to jump off the board and hit the ground running. I can’t check for faults because as soon as it cuts out, it comes back…

The VESC will still record the fault. If you go to the terminal tab and type “faults” it’ll list every fault it’s run into since startup.

ah, cool. Good to know! I have got to be getting the over current error…

When it cuts out and comes back, if there’s a fault, it will get stored in memory, and it wont go away until you power of the vesc. When i was trying FOC, anything lower than -20 motor min would make it cut off, and i would get a DRV8302 fault registered, which i could see when i plugged to the computer.

Is the length of your wires more than 20cm (8") if so, that would be a posible cause for your problems.

The wires are the standard length that came with carvons and diy vescs…

Im talking about the wires from your battery all the way to the vesc, counting any switches, etc you might have in between.

Changing the abs max to 120a on each vesc seemed to fix it. Thanks guys!