VESC Heat sinks - How much does it help?

What are your settings? How many VESCs? There’s a ton of things that will affect heating issues. I have no heating issues, and that’s because i have conservative settings and good gearing ratio.

Its a great idea and it would work for sure! The problem is you now need a reservoir/pump/radiator … and you have introduced the potential for flooding your enclosures if not careful :wink: Ive also thought about it but on a board it isnt the best solution. Using the airflow already provided makes much more sense

See above :slight_smile:

Heatpipes are not water coolers, they use gas to transfer heat away from the source quicker.

Ahhh sorry my bad, i just looked at the pic and thought it was a cpu cooling system like @Quinlanbrown mentioned. Is that a pressurised system then?

Here is the single build (geared to 25 mph): http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/carbon-python-hi5ber-python-caliber-ii-s-single-6374-hi-output-vesc-12s-lipo/2208

Here is the dual build (since updated with 15mm belts, geared to ~33 mph): http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/street-missile-vanguard-42-flex-1-caliber-ii-s-dual-6354-dual-hi-output-vesc-10s-lipo/1886

Agreed, but i think it’s the only way that it can be done, even if just delays the overheat, that’s good enough, any other idea is appreciated

Things are starting to get very hot here, 41º today, so that doesn’t help, in the winter I think I never had this issue

Other thing that I think it’s going to help is my new batterys, the ones I’m using sag a lot, and so the current demand goes up

They use liquid and gas to transfer heat from one area to another. Which is similar to how a “water” cooled pc component works.

Would it be worth using PC water cooling? probably not. If you used a passive system (no pump) then ultimately you’re just using the exact same method (less effective mind you) then heatpipes and it would be bulkier. The only time I would suggest water cooling is if you want your vesc in a closed area sealed off but would like heat disapation. It would allow for you place a radiator outside the enclosure without risk to the rest of the components. However if you don’t understand water cooling a PC I again would advise against doing it near 35-60V of batteries and a component like the VESC. In all honesty and practacality your best bet would be a protruding heatsink from your enclosure or with a vent that has a 1U fan sitting over it in “pull” (ensure to get one with reasonable static pressure) position like the following fans:

I say, the heat sinks are an inexpensive add on so if they help at all, then they’re worth having… The problem with venting the enclosure is a lot of dust and dirt getting in.

1 Like

That picture smurf posted shows 2 pipes which are closed at both ends so there is no ‘flow’ of the liquids/gas …? The heat isnt actively being removed from the area, just given a path which it can travel down to dissipate? hmmm I think the most sensible and simple option would be to have the heatsinks protruding from the enclosure but sealed everywhere else then

Has no one incorporated a simple air filter in an enclosure yet?

2 Likes

I haven’t checked any data sheets, but I’ve done quite a bit of testing with a different VESC’s when it comes to heatsinks. Same ride, settings, and setup under the same conditions with different VESC’s and adding heatsinks upped my performance substantially. If I were to ballpark it, I’d say it was the equivalent of raising your max temp roughly 10C.

there is flow, the liquid gas evaporates and moves to the cooler zone and condenses. this moves the heat away from the heat source faster.

A heat pipe may make sense in a more massive setup, maybe a mountainboard, but when the vesc is so close of the outside I don’t think is worth the trouble

yesterday i built a heat sink out of scrap aluminum i used a 1/8" pece for the bottom that was the size of the vesc and 2 strips of 1/4’’ for the top and botom of the mosfets i wish i had a pic rn but im at school, i bulted it all together and it increased climbing hills alot i went up a hill that when my board was in erlyer prototype it stopped half way up but now at about 10-15mph

Im def gonna make some measurements on this once im done with all the other work. It seems some people are running their vescs so close to the limit that 2-5 degrees actually makes a difference for some.

I’m really interested about this, vesc’s heat is probably going to be one of my main problems on a single 6374 at 7s, even if I’m just 60kg. If anybody could do any scientific measurement that would be really appreciated!

Interesting stuff ! Thanks, every day is a school day :slight_smile:

I added a plate and didn’t have airflow and it made a big change

Anybody i’m quite surprised mine vesc heats up so fast

This is on: Single drive 6374 sk3 192kv 12s 16/36 90mm Rider 98kg, flat area