VESC in FOC-Mode

What motor/kv are you running?

I’m getting “abs over current” errors after breaking hard then light accelerate or accelerating hard and breaking Doesn’t seem to happen in BLDC. :thinking:

Turnigy SK3 149kv but sadly my VESC has now problems too… I do not see any faults in BLDC but it still does not want to drive… :frowning:

RPB, you really got me hooked with your awesome esk8 clips and your very informative blog! :slight_smile:

So I’ve built my board based on your blog post and could finally assemble it fully yesterday.

I did a few 10-20 minute rides with the settings you posted.

I have a few questions: Question 1:

[quote=“RunPlayBack, post:3, topic:5263”] Startup Boost: 0.040 [/quote] In my BLDC-Tool it says (Startup boost (BLDC only), does it still have an effect in FOC?

Question 2:(Solved)

I think the new SpaceCell BMS has a 40Amp limit and a 40 Amp fuse, so I think it should be okay to set it 40. Will this maybe have and effect on the torque? EDIT:(Solved) I upped the Bat Max to 40A, still working fine and feels more torquey.

Question 3:(Solved)

On your blog you have this setting at the default value of AFAIK 10k. Does this setting have an effect on the speed limit? EDIT:(Solved) I set this back to 100k, since in my BLDC tool it says BLDC Mode only. Soft ERPM Settings do take effect, but I disabled it.

Question 4:(Solved) If I do benchtesting (I use the mini 2.4ghz “Winning” Remote) it’s almost impossible to let the wheel turn slow and then slowly accelerate, it goes from 0 to max RPM very quickly. While riding it seems to work pretty good. Is this normal, or is there a setting to smoothen out the acceleration? EDIT:(Solved) Got this solved with setting the correct minimum and maximum pulsewith in the PPM settings-tab. This video explained it nicely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtuofrQr3F8

Question 5: After about 10 minutes of riding it somehow feels that the torque lowers (I have a SPACE Cell 3 with Battery cut off start at 35.20 V). On one ride it started to feel like almost 30% of the torque towards the end of the ride. Is this maybe an overheating issue? I have the temperature limits set like this:

EDIT:(Unsolved) This problem seems to still exist, torque is decreasing over a 10minute ride.

Thanks!

1 Like

I just switched to FOC mode. Before that I was riding in BLDC. I didn’t flash the firmware. Just reseted it to the default settings and set up the new ones. Now, the board accerlates much smoother and is much quieter. I’m using an esk8.de VESC and an SK3 6364 245kv motor with an 8s lipo battery. First ride was awesome. Hope it will last.

2 Likes

do you know what video you watched to set it up?

5 Likes

Great video.

Hey guys, has anyone tried to run maytech vesc in foc mode?

This video makes me feel FOC is so damn simple to set.

I wonder why have people blown so many VESCs in the past because of incorrect parameters, if the ones on this video are so straight forward and easy to follow?

I’m wondering it too. I would like to give try, but apparently there is so many little thing to go wrong…

yes me… and it blow up… the red led blinking now