VESC many problems

I’d try just taking it out of the enclosure first.

Perhaps VESC is not the tool for your setup and simply cannot supply constant draw required for the performance you want. The VESC works within your motors parameters whereas your earlier ESC has a ‘take it you bitch’ attitude - I liked that with mine.

To get performance to a level or greater than that of your earlier ESC, you may, as other posters have stated, need to change motor to lower kV and step up to 10 or 12S. As this requires a significant cash outlay you will need to weigh up pros and cons of doing so.

I do hope that cooling solves your problems.

Bear in mind when the FETS overheat on a VESC they will be back to normal temperature by the time you feel them (it takes seconds for them to cool back down), unless you can ride with your hand on the VESC. So feeling the VESC after riding isn’t a good indicator of heat performance.

All you have to do is take it out of your enclosure and you’ll see immediately if you have a heat problem.

6S setups put far too many Amps through VESCs. They are rated at around 60-70Amps. My 6S setup pulls over 100Amps regularly. Hence I use a EZRun Pro car ESC.

When my battery is at 22.8v (your “empty” voltage) - I still have loads to go. 22.9v on mine and I have 4Ah of usable power remaining, leaving a firther 20% as a safetly margin). - That equates to over 4 miles for me. I end up at around 21volts empty.

With @dogeatgod 's board, we had overheating even at 10s, with the correct gearing for 30mph+. Adding a fan has instantly removed the problem. But he’s (as am I) heavier than younger riders. Both around 90kg

Thanks for all the nice help!! You are right, my VESC was overheating. So i attached a Fan. (Fortunatly i had a sbec for a future light mod with 12v output :slight_smile: ) Now it is driving like a charm. Again Thanks to the supporters, nice forum!!

Glad you got it sorted : )

If I were you I’d get rid of that foil. It’s a short circuit waiting to happen.

2 Likes

I am glad that i get feedback of the foil because i dont know if it was the ideal idea. Before the vesc lays on Form. Can You maybe give me a Tip what i could use?

You already have a heat problem so you want as little thermal insulation as possible, so get rid of the foam as well. Ideally you should mount the VESC to your enclosure using standoffs so air can reach the underside of the PCB. You can see the standoffs in this picture:

To prevent accidental short circuits I’d also advise you to shrink-wrap your VESC but leave the MOSFET visible so they can be cooled.

1 Like

LOL I only just saw this post, and the foil!!

did you run it like that??? did it even work?

Yes, i drove it one Run like that. About 10km. And yes it worked :wink:

As has been said, keep ANY conductive surface (i.e. most metals) away from the circuit board. Your very luck it still works after putting it inside of aluminum foil.

I’m glad you got it working with the fan.

Still, I would recommend in the future thinking about upgrading the motor to something capable of running at 12s (like the enertion motor I posted above), and putting the batteries in series to run at 12s. This will likely eliminate the need to have a fan, and will drastically increase torque and top speed. This means you can travel faster, and up steeper inclines. It just makes for a better board.

I bet ud have no problem running that motor on 12s. If u rev it to the higher rpm it might be too many computations for the vesc with the high kv though.

How fragile are the fets? I have them out of a box exposed to possible flying gravel from the wheels. Keeps them cool,

If you look at the link he posted in the first post, it said the max the motor could take was 10s…

So it says but it can probably take more. Limited by wire enamel and rpm. Doubt he’ll get near the rpm limit of the bearings. More realistic is a max wattage number to determine heat that will degrade the enamel. But too too high voltage will bust through the ename regardless but that’s much more

Lad, it seems like you don’t know much about basic electronics, but you made a working thing and you enjoying it , Great work !