Vesc Max Amperage

And with a 6,3Ah 35C battery?

55kg is not very heavy. 6.3 x 35=220a That battery would be a much better choice. Basically the higher the C rating, the better. I personally use 5ah/60C batteries in a dual drive setup. I get very minimal voltage sag even when powering up hills. I set my motor max at 60a and my battery max at 50a on both Vescs.

Iā€™m currently rocking a Hobby King RC ESC which was alright for prototype. But VESC upgrade sounds worth it.

Iā€™ve been using 20C batteries for a while nowā€¦ is this bad for them? I havenā€™t hooked up a meter to the motor yet to see what actual amperage / voltage its runs at.

The motor states max amps of 50A, so I thought I was safe with 60A batteries.

a hobby esc works differently than a Vesc. The hobby esc works in duty cycle mode. So as you give more throttle the esc gives more voltage to the motors. The current is determined by the amount of load on the motors. A Vesc works in current control mode. So it always gives full voltage to the motors and the throttle controls the current flow or amps. The Vesc is so much smoother in acceleration and braking than any hobby esc. It is head and shoulders above any other esc out there.

Ahhh thanks for explaining. Even more excited.

Even when my motor states max amp 50A I should upgrade my current 6S 20C 3000mAh (60A max) batteries. To a higher C rate?

what the motor says on it is misleading and It just does what itā€™s fed and doesnā€™t decide the power. for protecting your batteries without the vesc to tell you whats going on you can feel if the batteries get warm after use or get a watt meter to see the acual amps pulled. Iā€™d assume half the c rating for lipos. but if youā€™re not pulling much with the 6s 20c and not getting them warm youā€™re likely fine with those.

Alright aces makes sense!

About eRPM

300kv at 6s voltage is within the Vesc Erpm limit. 6x4.2=25.2v 25.2v X 300kv=7560 rpm 7560 x 7=52920 Erpm The Vescā€™s Erpm limit is 60000

eRPM = pole pairs * RPM

Whereā€™s the 7 from? Do most motors have 7 pole pairs?

typical out runners yes. 12 stator teeth and with 14 magnets theres the pole pairs.

Thatā€™s not true. More amps result in more heat. And please donā€™t go up to 200 amps. You would disable the Overcurrent protection of the vesc. First of all try the values your motor is rated for. If you donā€™t like it you can change it anyway. And if you would use the 200 amps then you also need to use the watt control of my firmware mod. Otherwise the motor will be nearly uncontrollable. (on or off). But at the beginning you should try low values to get a feeling for it. Seems that you are a beginner so donā€™t go creazy.

Isnā€™t it? I thought when you double kV resistance in the motor is halved but amps are doubled creating the same efficiency at % of no load RPM. Vedder wrote a thing about it. http://vedder.se/2014/10/chosing-the-right-bldc-motor-and-battery-setup-for-an-electric-skateboard/

@IsTalo thanks to Devin everything should be a no-brainer for you now.

1 Like

Take things that @devin says with a grain of salt and DO NOT run your motor at 5000W. Itā€™s stupid, you will only get yourself hurt or set your board on fire (not mutually exclusive).

He posts suggestions about settings that can really hurt a person but has never tried them himself.

aaaaand there we go again with devin :smiley:

(not that weĀ“re against science and stuff but maaaaaaaaaan!)

4 Likes

@devin same calculations, all over the forum. 1/100 of people give a flying fuck. Stop spamming, I beg you. Leave it to your own thread.

No offence, itā€™s just pissing everyone off.

2 Likes

6 Likes

TRIPLE LIKED 10 characters

1 Like