VESC Monitor Android App

Fear turned into about 7 blown CAN transceivers. Zero since I abandoned CAN.

Do all the values displayed get multiplied? I felt like some weren’t so if figured Id leave it set to one and multiply myself just to be sure until I asked.

I seem to have lots of freezing issues but its intermittent and unpredictable. When the app freezes its almost impossible to close and restart without waiting. Is there anything I can do to minimize this? I use a GALAXY S8 plus btw.

I think it doesn’t only help when you loose traction. It also could help for stability. For example when you only power the front wheels then it is hard to make a corner. SO it should be helpful to have less power at the front to improve carving during acceleration. And at braking it also should be more stable when the front brakes more than the back.

And i am working on the crashes. But did not find the root cause yet.

1 Like

Ill give the power split a try tomorrow and see if I can feels a difference in the way it handles.

I personally don’t like traction control. With it off at least I know what it’s doing, that is, it’s still responding to the throttle in a predictable way to me. When TC is on and I hit a slick spot while accelerating resulting in a motor to spin up suddenly it feels like it pumps the brakes on the wheel with traction at worst and at least it stops behaving how I’m expecting it to given the trigger position.

Hi, so, what do you mean with “blown CAN reansceivers”, do you know more about it, or know anyone able to repair it ? how does a blown CAN Transceiver look like or can you/i acutally see it ?

I actually made a similar experience with my brand new Focboxes ? not many people seem to know about CAN troubles, or at least the only advice given to me is “use a servo split cable its safer than CAN” on the other hand Trampa is strictly recommendin not to use servo split-cables with their new VESC6 I go with servo split right now, and its working great, still id like to know ,…is this a random bug, or a production fault,…or…

if anyone knows more about it here i openen a topic with questions to it

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/dual-vesc-can-problems/34035

Just released a new version of the app (1.62) which hopefully improves the stability of the app. Please let me know if it males a difference on your phone? Will take a couple of minutes for google to publish it so please be patient.

3 Likes

Installed, will test this evening and report back.

Thanks for your work

Every 300 miles I run on your app I’m going to drop you a donation

Whatever you did drastically improved the stability on my phone. Im running a cloned version and the Original version on the phone at the same time and it hasnt frozen once even when both are connected and switching back and forth between the apps and when connecting and disconnecting. The app did stop once when switching from video back to the main screen but it restarted fine which wasn’t the case before. It would hang up for over a minute and sometimes not eork again until I turned off the board. Quick work, nice improvement.

This thing is awesome, really liking now that I have an android phone that works for mode change. Taking a closer look, on the two android phones that still do not work (even with recent update v1.62), it is just the mode selection dropdown page that is the issue on some phones. Everything else works (including changing default and BLDC/FOC) but for some reason some phones are not able to pickup the selection of a new drive mode from that drop down screen and pass it along to the main app mode box. So it acts as if nothing was chosen so nothing changes. I know its not a priority, but would be great if that mode change drop down menu worked like the FOC/BLDC change menu, as the mode change feature is top of list for many people. I expect the different UI for mode change dropdown vs FOC/BLDC is driven by the fact that the menu options are dynamic and pulled from the modes setup section of the app (vs FOC/BLDC and default write to VESC are hardwired options). Even a command level prompt box where we type in a drive mode would help, not pretty but at least works. Just throwing that out there lol.

Interesting, so you are able to read data of both motors on two “cloned” Ack-Apps ?. Are both apps able to connect to both bluetooth modules at the same time, and read and write data of both motors ? And sorry, im still a oldschool mobile user, but i got a android 4.4 Smarthpone gifted, so how do you clone apps ?

Do you have another Board where sou can try my or benjamins new firmware? If it works with this then I Know the reason.

Hi Nico, just i would like to know if is there a option to keep the track of the kilometers i do skating with your f+C++g awesome app, since i change very often the mobile phone i can’t keep it, is a there a way to edit the km? thanks buddy, i’m in love with your brain. :+1::nerd:

Yes they can both apps can connect to the separate bluetokth modules and read data and change modes :). Just search “clone app” on the play store.

Ah yes, I remember you had pointed me in that direction before. I do have a couple of beta vesc 6 as well as few Ollin VESC that I would need to install your FW to. Probably this weekend, so just to clarify I can try this with the beta vesc6 w/vedder FW already installed (I have not updated it in quite awhile) or I need to install your FW on my Ollin VESC HW v4.12? Also to double confirm which version of your firmware should I use with the Ollin VESC?

You can use Version 3.100 on both.

Ok great. As I already have dual beta vesc 6 up and running on a build and just need to add BLE, will the test work with existing new Vedder HW for some reason or need your FW 3.1? Rather not change variables if possible lol.

You need Firmware 3.100 to try the mode change

Im still trying to figure out why motor temp isnt displayed on my App. Any tips?