VESC Monitor Android App

If I change from BLDC to FOC via VESC Monitor, it will change to FOC on both VESCs, right? HM-10 is connected to the Master VESC and Number of motors is set to “2”. “Connect by CAN to” is disenabled.

Yes it changes it on both when you send the command to the master. Important is that at the master “Send status over CAN” is disabled.

1 Like

I’m having trouble changing settings with the app not sure if I’m doing it right. I go to mode setup and make a new mode, then I go to main screen and under default I select the new mode. The settings in the mode box change, but the it doesn’t change on vesc?

Dude this is next level! I cannot begin to imagine how many 100’s (more like 1000’s) of hours that went into the creation of your VESC app and BLDC-tool. I guess I’ll have to go through the grueling process of installing a bootloader on my maytech vesc’s :sob: Thanks so much for your work Ackmaniac! Just donated! :wink:

1 Like

I provided a new Version which should fix some resulution issues where the text was splitted into 2 lines. It’s available at the Dropbox link and in a couple of hours also via the Google play store.

Bench isn’t a good way to test. FOC will stutter like crazy if you run it on bench.

1 Like

Not with hall sensors😏

2 Likes

Still not on Google Play Store. :cry:

OK wow, this app is amazing :astonished:. I orderded a bluethooth module a week ago and it arrived today. So first thing I did was installing your upgraded firmware.

Since I had to manually reset every parameter I thought, why not do a detection for FOC mode also. I have never done this in the past because I read somewhere it causes your VESC to break (in some cases). But man am I happy I did this :slight_smile: my board runs sooo quiet now.

Also to be able to see your amp draw, speed, range and all that other good stuff is amazing! Changing settings on the fly is really handy! Havent tried the video overlay, will be trying that (hopefully) this weekend.

While using this app, I also found a bit of an issue with my VESC. After about 1 km of going 35 km/h, my VESC reached the temperature limit of 80 -90 °C and gave me less torque/speed. Is this a well know issue? ( I saw a thread the other day where someone was having also an issue with this, but his temp sensor was broken. Mine isnt, because when I stop the temps begin to drop immediately)

Now that I have the upgraded firmware, is there anything worth checking out in it? I know he added the ‘Watt modus’, but my board runs fine withouth any modification, I think :confused:

To end this I would really want to thank @Ackmaniac for making this incredible app. I will check your donation link out :wink:

I would double check you settings to find the temperature issue there. Because my firmware mod doesn’t really change anything which can cause a temperature rise. So maybe you VESC has a Issue with FOC or if you run BLDC again then please check that you did a motor detection in BLDC. Another explanation could be that it is the first time that you see that you have a temperature issue. So i guess you have a single drive. Because dual normally don’t get that issue.

No no it is definitely not your app. It is just something I didnt know about before I had your app :wink: And you are correct, I’m using a single drive. Was just wondering if someone else had this problem too. Edit: spelling

Any plans on adding support for the pebble watch (you can pick one up for next to nothing nowadays) or other smartwatches? That’d be a killer feature!

2 Likes

On Google Play Store is still version 1.20 from 12th of April. Should not be a newer version available?

You are right, google changed the way to publish apps. So i missed a step. Should be available now or in a couple of hours. Correct new version is 1.21

1 Like

So i’ve tried installing this app as well and sadly I can’t connect to the BTLE Model at all. I’m using a HM-10 Module with firmware version 5.4. The connection works without problems with the VESC_CONNECT app from Jacob but I cant connect using yours. Running vesc FW 4.18. I was using v 1.2 this morning and I got “cannot connect, please try again” as an error message. Updated to 1.21 this afternoon and now I dont get the error message any more, the connect button changes to “Disconnect” but the graphs still don’t show any data.

Did you connect it this way? VESC 5v - VCC Module VESC GND - GND Module VESC RX - TX Module VESC TX - RX Module

And you need to set a baudrate of 9600 for UART in BLDC-Tool.

Yes, the connection is correct - it works with Jacob Bloy’s app “Vesc connect”. Also the baudrate is set correctly.

Can you also read the data in the Vesc Connect app? Seems that you have the wrong Bluetooth module. They mostly work with my firmware mod because i changed the timing there. You can find more information here.

1 Like

Yes, its possible to read and write data in the vesc connect app. The firmware of the bluetooth chip is the official HM-10 one which I flashed this morning. There a quite a few cheap copies of the HM-10 around which behave slightly differently so it may be that you are using a clone and havn’t realized yet: http://blog.yavilevich.com/2017/03/mlt-bt05-ble-module-a-clone-of-a-clone/

Please show me which Bluetooth module you used exactly. And you can also give my VESC firmware mod a try if you want. Maybe it fixes the problem, maybe not. You can also try to restart your smartphone. Had a issue once.