VESC Monitor Android App

No fucked data? I have no clue what that is. What android version are you running? Android 8 and higher has problems with fake modules because of their firmware.

1 Like

The app doesn’t support the latest official firmware version 3.40.

1 Like

Sorry just a typo. No data comes through. Just zeros in all sections.

Ok, so the vesc is on 3.4 so it just won’t work with the app. Will it eventually, or do I need to revert to an earlier firmware?

1 Like

Try Ackmaniac’s ESC tool

That is what I am trying to make work.

1 Like

Might as well Side-grade to ackmaniac’s firmware, which will make drv codes work with the app as well

2 Likes

So you used the Ackmaniac ESC tool to upload the firmware? And the android app “ESC monitor” connects and says “Discon” (means it’s connected) in the top right corner and shows all zero’s in the interface? And when you press on for example “mode” in the android app it says “esc not connected”?

A friend of mine has the same problem with his Raptor 2. No solution to be found :stuck_out_tongue: I’m trying to help my friend resolve this issue.

The 3.4 firmware Ackmaniac is talking about is the latest https://vesc-project.com firmware I think. And not the firmware from his Ackmaniac ESC tool.

I was at a group ride this weekend and heard more people seem to be having the same issue. Noone could help my friend.

Everything is correct but i never uploaded firmware to the vesc. I only tried to use the adroid ap to see realtime data. I set up the vesc using the vesc tool, which i get functioning perfect with the trampa nrf module. I bought the bkb module to try to get the ack. android tool to work. Giving up. Vesc tool works fine and i guess i don’t need the sweet realtime display ackmaniac tool has. Oh well.

So I just solved the issue for my friend.

In the Ackmaniac ESC tool I set the “App to use” to PPM and UART.

If you flash the firmware with that tool and do the same I bet you will have functioning telemetry on your smartphone!

I think this issue can only be solved over USB. As the vesc won’t communicate with the bluetooth module you can’t change the settings over bluetooth.

1 Like

I will give that a try! I did set the mode in the regular vesc tool to ppm+uart using the usb and computer, but will check on the ackmaniac tool as well. Thanks!

Anyone know if there is an android watch that will simply connect and read our VESC battery power remaining and show speed using GPS in the watch for current speed?

Looking for someone to walk me through it and possibly hire someone to help make it happen.

I am getting a lower voltage from the app than the voltage measured at the battery terminal using a voltmeter. Is this normal ? There is a more than 0.5V difference.

That is normal. it depends on the tolerance of the resistor that is used for the voltage sensing on you VESC. If you have a 50V battery then 0.5V would be 1 % which is mostly the best type of resistors you get for a reasonable price.

1 Like

Ok make sense. Thanks for the info.

Just released a new version which supports the official version 3.39 and 3.40 to show the realtime data.

7 Likes

Nice! I know a few people who will appreciate this update.

At this point, what are the main differences (if any) between using your firmware + app and the official + app?

I’d it the timeout smooth ramping to set braking value? Does the watt limit in your version ramp watts from (say for example) 0W to 1000W linearly (or based on throttle curve) with 0%-100% throttle input while standard just sets a limit on wattage and nothing else? That’s what I think I can remember the main differences being…

Could you share where you got the documentation to handle messaging with the VESC?

Just upgraded to app v1.118 and suddenly instead of the notification updating, it looks like it keeps getting re-sent. The Notification chime keeps chiming until I force-stop the app, switch off my board and then restart the app. I tried disabling ‘Fast status notifications’ but it doesn’t make any difference. Any ideas?

When you see the notification then you can change the settings of the notification. This way you can disable the bell sound.