VESC Not smooth

There is a duty cycle control mode under app settings> ppm which will work the way you are expecting on the bench but it is pretty dangerous to ride in this mode, typically it is only used in robots or drone applications.

Thats not what it should do though, it should have a predefined acceleration curve then putting the throttle to 50% should follow that curve until the board is at 50% power? Otherwise people would me mashing pedals to maintain speed

Current control as you have it setup now will feel very much like the gas pedal in your car, that is what the majority of people on this forum use. Every single one of our boards will spin the motors up to max speed at about 15% throttle when the board is flipped upside-down on the bench. It’s just the nature of current control.

Spinning up motors to max speed is NOT max power because there is no force behind it. Somewhat dangerous (don’t try it) but you can try holding one of your motors while you gently press the throttle in, you will feel the force of it increasing/decreasing as you move the throttle.

Actually as I have you, new issue which might be worse. When i pull the brake to max, the wheel still freely spins and the VESC app live data monitoring crashes without error, and requires a restart to get it back up again

What is your power source for the VESC? If it is a wall supply and not a battery many don’t support sinking current back into them, this causes a large voltage spike at the input voltage which can reset the VESC or even damage it if the supply voltage is very high (48V)

12S5P Eskating.eu battery. https://eskating.eu/product/flat-12s5p-eskating-electric-skateboard-battery-samsung-30q/

Edit: to clarify it is actually also using a super shitty xt90 to 2x xt90 connector and is connected to 2 fsescs, but I am only trying to get 1 to work, the other dosent have the can bus connected but it is being powered

OK so its plugged into the battery for this testing? Does the red fault light on your vesc blink when you brake? Does the USB disconnect or the app actually crashes?

I will make a video, its easiest to see what is going on.

please film landscape haha, much easier for me to see whats going on.

I would also encourage you to try a few very slow rides down a hallway or something, if you don’t understand how the vesc works it might give you a better idea of how the controls are working in a real application scenario.

Did you ever figure out how to accomplish this? How do you go half speed? I don’t understand this whole current control thing, it’s not like a car gas pedal because you can maintain exact speeds in a car. I want to be able to control my speed based on how far the throttle is pushed forward. Acceleration should be based on how fast you move the throttle.

Current control is exactly like a car.

If you lift a car up so the drive wheels are free wheeling, don’t be surprised when the the idle spins them at 40 mph lol

I have no control of my speed while riding, not only when the board is lifted and the wheels can spin freely. I can’t go half speed it always builds up to max current.

1 Like

A given point on my remote is a given current. When I want to stay at 10MPH, and I know that riding at 10MPH has resistive forces of x newtons, I have to find the current which exactly causes an equal and opposite force to appose that, hence I stay at 10MPH. Depending on your throttle curve, your remote may be too sensitive to do this. I have a GT2B casemod which has an INSANE throw, so I can easily maintain any speed. If you have like a nano-x or something, but a very powerful board, you’re going to have difficulty getting that sweet spot.