VESC Nunchuk RF

@trbt555 It really does play a huge role.

In simple terms AFH looks for a selective clean signal over a more narrow band. The goal here is getting a crystal clear signal, however, when encountering interference or sudden weakness in signal you can loose throttle/brake control.

FHSS takes the good with the bad with its frequency spectrum, and as far as I am aware not susceptible to dynamic interference like AFH is. The signal is not as clean but more then suitable for pulse modulated signals.

The biggest problem in using AFH for throttle or braking is the possibility of total signal loss due to dynamic interference. Might not be a huge issue at low speed but it can get ugly at 30+mph. If you have any kind of drag brake set it will send you into a fishtail.

Quick question: You know how the nyko kama comes with a receiver and it’s wireless. The corded one doesn’t come with a wireless receiver does it? What receiver do we use on the vesc if we buy a corded one? Sorry if I’ve mis-understood how this works.

you dont actually use the wired nunchuck. you gut it and replace the insides with an RF tranmitter.

And the VESC has a built in receiver?

no you have to also wire a receiver to the VESC.

May I ask which receiver? Is it a NRF24L01?

I believe it is an NRF24L01 yes.

1 Like

Thanks for the help @lowGuido

This is the connections from the vesc to the nrf. You need to add a decoupling capacitor on the 3.3v and gnd of the nrf, 2.2uF will do. Dont forget to jump the CE of the nrf to the vcc or 3.3v

Vesc Nrf Clk. Clk Mosi. Mosi Miso. Miso Ss. Ss Vcc. 3.3v Gnd. Gnd Vcc. CE

Here are the receivers, made 2, one is with the mini nrf, i need to complete it,

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I know you can get them cheap on ebay, but do you think this one from sparkfun with the antenna and auto retransmit feature would help with the dropped connections?

1 Like

Worth the try, don’t forget that it would go on the receiving end, on the vesc. So i wouldn’t put my hopes up on the auto-retransmit feature. But that antenna will be a big help.

Would it be possible to use another Wii compatible nunchuck? LIke this one…

1 Like

I dont see why not.

Finishing another batch of PCB’s in the next few days. Anyone waiting on one can expect to see a tracking update as soon as I finish inspection and testing.

Hello skate builders,

my first post on forums, but I must say that i’m amazed with the forum.Lots of useful info. I’m also into building e-skate.

now back on topic. Check these cheap bluetooth controllers out: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Bluetooth-Remote-Control-Wireless-Selfie-Shutter-Game-Console-Gamepad-Joystick-Game-Controller-for-Android-Smartphone/32467870580.html even smaller one: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wireless-Bluetooth-Game-Controller-Joystick-Gaming-Gamepad-for-Android-IOS-Moblie-Smart-Phone-for-iPhone-for/32565129038.html

the smaller one has arrived and is reaaally small and the joystick has small travel. waiting for the big one. it should be same as wii.

1 Like

Yes endless sphere sucks

1 Like

Ease up there buddy. Endless doent suck. Endless sphere was the original forum where Onloop - the guy hosting this forum, started building and sharing how to build. There is still a $hit ton of information there- both in archives and currently being built. This forum does have better organization and is much more specific to e-skate but in terms of controler tech, batteries, and development across the spectrum of EV endless is unbelievable.

1 Like

You ease up buddy… Didn’t know there was and endless - cheerleader … Thanks for the non needed lesson on what it is… Fully aware kid

Vegas sucks too, all the fancy lights just hide the piece of crap it really is but you don’t hear any of us randomly spouting off like we have a case of mild turrets :wink:

This is the type of attitude I commonly see on the sphere from a few bad actors. It is very counterproductive and I hope it will be moderated by the community as a whole over here. If you can’t help yourself then at least do this in an appropriate thread and leave the technical threads alone.

How did Vegas get involved and who has turrets? … Only one comment abt end less… … No more abt this