VESC randomly behaves strangely

Hello! Recently, my VESC has started behaving strangely. It has a variety of issues:

• Randomly becoming unresponsive(the remote shows the signal as strongest). It starts working after a few seconds
  • Becoming unresponsive and only completely turning it off and on again(by disconnecting the battery) works
  • Slight random braking when accelerating
  • Jerking when starting to break
  • When becoming unresponsive the display on my VX2 Pro freezes and shows the same values(same amperage, speed, etc.)
  • The remote is not at fault as this also happens with some other remote I own that is not UART.

Could this be a faulty VESC or something else? How can I diagnose it? I don’t want to waste my money buying another VESC and then figuring out that something else was the problem.

I noticed one time that the voltage of my board was displayed as 0 on my remote so I double checked all my battery connections and soldering and it seems solid.

1 Like

I would blame the remote and replace it with a better one like the puck.

if not that then try the vesc forums

Is your BMS working just as charge?

what HW, and pics

1 Like

As I said, happens with both remotes I own.

I don’t have a BMS. I have 2 LiPos in series and I charge them externally.

Flipsky VESC 4.12. Will post pics tomorrow, though you probably won’t be able to tell anything from them.

Have you connected to vesc tool and ran input wizard? Sometimes shit gets wonky and needs the fuckery fucked back in it. :call_me_hand:

1 Like

I’ll try to do that, thanks.

1 Like

So what was the fix?

With multimeter.

• Start from check the battery, all the cell is balance? No loose connection.
  • Check Hall Sensor wiring continuity test from Motor to VESC.

Last hope, your DRV8302 is going bad. you will have to replace it.

Not sure what exactly was the fix but after replacing my BMS and controller, the issue was resolved. I think the most likely one is the BMS because I dropped it from really high up one time before and it could have been the issue for the malfunction.

2 Likes