VESC - Reversing a sensored motor

As I said before they are probably still good but too far from the stator. If they where damage they probably won’t ether way

Not if they are badly place inside the motor, like every sensor they need to be place in a certain rage of the stator… It is not plug and play… and in certain case the factory can F*** the placement since these kind of motor are mostly hand made.

What is then the perfect position. Can you give an example?

The perfect position is most likely to be glue with direct contact on the stator. (Like the picture I post earlier). But It depend on the sensor (they might be diferent sensor that require a certain distance to work at there best)

Which sensors board is that in the picture?. Did it come with the motor or did you attach it afterwards?

It come with the motor.

http://e0designs.com/documentation/finding-motor-phase-sensor-combinations/

here´s a good article about how to get sensored motors running. It´s not as easy as going without sensors and maybe you´ll find something new here what you haven´t tested so far :wink:

I’ve pulled apart a couple of the 6374 motors the OP is using and the hall sensors look standard, glued to the stator the way you’d expect. I can snap some pictures later if needed.

I’m not saying that the hall sensor placement/connections aren’t potentially the issue but it seems odd that they would sense in one direction but not the other. Just guessing it may be an issue of the BLDC tool (ie auto-detect initializing the hall sensor configuration / spin direction, then maybe he’s not properly resetting when he changes phase wires to reverse the spin). Seems like that could be clarified easily if the motor can detect reverse spin when set to ppm w/reverse.

@HTownBomber What do you mean monkeying around ? Have you read my methodology ?

I’ve literally tried every combination of phase and hall sensor.

Yeah, I read it and tried to make sense of it, but didn’t understand what you meant when you said all other combinations don’t work. Perhaps you could clarify about what happens when you swap the phase wires from 1/2/3 to 3/2/1 (ie leaving middle phase wire constant, swapping the motor wires connected to the left & right VESC phase wires) after a fresh reset to default settings / no current control?

My thought was that the sensor detection may be failing after initialization in one configuration and then a change to another if not properly reconfiguring the setup.

To quote myself, [quote]If you already did that above, that I apologize.[/quote]

@HTownBomber the link seems interesting, I’ll try the procedure outlined here.

I’ve also tried to set in FOC and check “reverse encoder” which reverses everything for a minute (the software reverse I’ve been looking for!). Except it switches direction after one reboot.

Ok, I’ve followed the methodology outlined here [1]

Starting from a combination of hall sensors and phase wires that work.

I labeled the phase wires coming out of the VESC: U, V, W and the wires going into the motor: A, B, C

So all my combinations, as outlined by 3. are :

UA, VB, WC detection works, rotates reverse UA, VC, WB, detection fails, rotates forward UB, VC, WA, detection works, rotates reverse UC, VB, WA, detection fails, rotates forward UC, VA, WB, detection works, rotates reverse UB, VA, WC, detection fails, rotates forward

I’ve also tried to do what 6. suggests (cyclic shift of all three phases to reverse direction) and it kept the same direction (reverse).

Edit I’ve also tried swapping some sensor phase wires, the detection actually works but only when the motor rotates reverse during the “start detection” sequence.

[1] http://e0designs.com/documentation/finding-motor-phase-sensor-combinations/

1 Like

I didnt seem to have this issue with my sensored motor. I didnt even get to swap the hall sensor around. It should just work by just swaping one of the phase wire and run the motor detection.

@laurnts thanks for participating in the convo, but please kindly read the above. My testing is rigorous.

Somehow my motor will not detect bldc hall sensor when rotating one of the ways.

Edit. I’m sure it works for some, but not for me. that’s the whole point of this conversation, pls comment if you have expert knowledge.

Ive read the post above. but it didn’t make any sense. Phase wire and hall sensor are two different things. They didn’t share direct connections. Swapping 2 of the phase wire should be enough to change the directions and the hall sensor should work. Hall sensor contains 6 wires and minimum only requires 5 wires to operate (without the temperature sensor).

1 positive, 1 negative and 3 halls sensing. The hall sensing can be swapped one with another, that shouldn’t matter. What is important is not to switch the positive and negative with the halls around.

If in forward / backward direction the hall sensor works, that means that the wiring of the hall sensor works fine. It should also do work for the other way around.

Now what I understand is that the motor runs both direction sensorless, that means the motor and esc is fine up to this point.

So what can possibly went wrong is that the ESC sensor area is broken / buggy which I think less of an issue when it can still work for one direction. Hence what I think what is wrong with your setup is one of the hall sensor is faulty.

The only way to proof this is to compare / cross check it with another sensored bldc motor.

I think the sensor is faulty too. Since it only works one way.

@JLabs Any chance for a return of my lemon motor ?

Edit: Also I’ve found more interesting material on the subject Someone in [2] suggests changing the amplification value to the sensor board within the VESC firmware.

[1] http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/vesc-motor-detection-failing/6640 [2] http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?t=637

I was not aware that it was my motor. I’ll converse over PM.

Did you use an adapter or solde to the board? From what I am aware the order of the phase wires does not matter with the VESC. I just suggested flipping them to see if it would help.

I rewired the original plug into a JST that will plug into the VESC.

@JLabs was able to confirm with the manufacturer that these motors will run sensored in one direction in BLDC but no problem with both in FOC.

You have to be cautious in FOC, because sensor are manually detect and won’t give you a error if they’re bad.