Vesc Settings for maximum potential (8S, 260kV)

Well shit. I have a horrible grasp on the magnitudes of these things. I’m definitely more mechanically inclined so that is very useful to know. Thanks.

Could it be that it doesn’t work when the battery gets low? It doesn’t accelerate now…

1 Like

Nevermind, found the problem: Bullet connector was a bit loose… :sweat_smile:

any update on this setup? I also have a 260 kV motor and would like to test it with 9s (with Erpm limit set at 60000). Does this change anything about the start torque?

Well I rode it for like 30-40k max, because the weather is getting too bad to ride in the Netherlands. I had no problems with the settings whatshowever, and I think you’d be able to push it ever farther if you wanted to. I’ll upload a screen of what I use now just to make sure you use the same. With a 9S setup you need to change the voltage limits and I think 8S is the best with a 260kV motor, but that’s another post on the forum.

I

1 Like

wow, motor max can push till 50A, i should try try~~

Depends on how many S you run though, because otherwise you’ll exceed the maximum wattage.

i am running 8s lipo 5000mah 20c… so maximum potential i should rise to 50a?

Had no problems in terms of cutouts and heat, so you should be safe but I’d try 40 first and then check just to be sure.

okay…got it~~ what is your max speed can reach?

pulley ratio?

Top speed stays the same, only thing that changes is the acceleration thus how fast you get there :wink: I have the 12mm kit from enertion.

http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/12mm-wide-pulley-drive-hub-kit/

Set the motor max to 70 and give it a try. You could reach those amps only till you go half speed. Afterwards the battery max reduces everything. So you would only hit the max amps for about 2 or 3 seconds.
And depending on your battery you can also raise the battery max. Because at the moment it is quite low. If you have a single drive you only set your system up to around 1036 watts (3,7V * 8S * 35A = ). Set battery max to 50 A (1480Watts) or 60 A (1776 Watts). I drive my single with 1600 and my dual with even 2400 watts.

What happens when you reach the MAX ERPM, will it just cruise at that speed? I have read other people calling it a cutoff/hard setting which i would assume shuts down the board?

The Vesc will generate a fault code and it will shut off. It will coast and you won’t be able to brake.

1 Like

thanks for the reply, this seems like a bad idea right, i don’t imagine the friction would slow you fast enough and i don’t fancy trying to foot brake at 30mph

is this correct: 60000(ERPM)/7(PP) = 8571 RPM (motor side) 8571/2.4(gear ratio 15:36) = 3571 RPM (Wheel side) 357180pi(wheel circumference) = 897597 mm per min = 33mph

do the soft ERPM limits in the ppm tab stop this happening, could I set that end limit to 60,000 and leave the MAX ERPM 100,000

I’d change the max eRPM just to be sure, kind of a fool proof safe more than anything. Your 33mph is a nice theory but I think with human loads and friction you’ll really 28-30mph, and honestly that is pretty scary :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think this is right. When you reach max ERPM the VESC will stop supplying additional current so that you don’t exceed the RPM you’ve programmed. It’s smooth and just means that more throttle doesn’t increase your riding speed any longer.

I use ERPM limits to cap my top speed and it works well. My VESC doesn’t shut off or restart when I get to that RPM.

2 Likes

I have a board on the bench, I should just test this when I get home. I’ve always heard conflicting stories. Nothing beats first hand experience! Maybe I’ll make a video to settle it once and for all :smiley:

5 Likes

The VESC doesn’t shut down when it reaches the max ERPM. It starts to brake until it is again below or equal to that ERPM. So if you would set this to 10km/h it feels a bit rouph because it would switch constantly between accelerating and braking. So it is better to set the soft ERPM Limit so that it starts to reduce the power before it reaches this ERPM. To shut down would be stupid. When it reaches the soft ERPM limit it only drives the system with “Min Current” which is set in the advanced tab. So you have a soft behavior when you reach the max speed. And the difference between soft ERPM Limit start and end should have minimum a difference of 1000 ERPM because the VESC can’t detect a constant ERPM, It fluctuates between ±400 ERPM.

And when you have a 8S system with 260 kv you won’t reach that ERPM when you stand on the board. Only on the bench you could reach it. I simply set my system always to 60000 max ERPM, soft limit start 58000 and soft limit end 60000. And i can reach those speeds only on the bench with 12S 190kv. When i stand on the board i can’t because the efficiency of the motor doesn’t allow that.

2 Likes