VESC Shutdown on full charge. (12s LIPO with BMS)

Battery is sitting at about 49v with multimeter without load. I’ll try bypassing the BMS (No real reason to discharge through it really) I just wired it up that way first for simplicity… Just trying to figure out in my head how the BMS restarts the VESC with an OVER_VOLTAGE by shutting down?

When you brake then you charge the battery. Because the motor produces power (regenerative). But the battery is already full and the BMS detects that. So the BMS shuts down and doesn’t except any power anymore. Now the VESC doesn’t know where to send the power and runs into the overvoltage. And to protect itself it shuts down.

1 Like

Sometime the ovevoltage error occurs, because the bms discharge capacity are not enought, so it is like the voltage loop back to the esc

1 Like

ahhhhhh right on! thanks!

36V, or 3.0V/cell, is way way too low of a cutoff for LiPos. If you look at a discharge chart, there is very little energy left at 3.5-3.6 V/cell, and the voltage drops rapidly. If anything, should raise your voltage cutoff start/end.

@jackw has 40.80 → 39.60. I’m currently using 42.6V (3.55V/cell) start → 40.8V (3.4V/cell) end, but that may need some adjusting. 3.6V/cell (43.2V) might be a better starting point