VESC Temp Concerns

Right, I’ll give it a shot and see what happens…

If you don’t have temps sensor in your motor it won’t be related to the motor. :wink:

Thanks for the info @Ackmaniac, I’ll try to squeeze in some heatsinks.

But did you feel a lost in the power? Or it was to dam cold outside to feel anything :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m using the motor sensor but I have no idea if it carries motor temp…

Lol, no loss of power at all. Just fucking freezing my ass…

1 Like

The motor temp sensor isn’t used in the firmware. It only stores your settings and that’s it. Doesn’t read it at all even if you attach it. Would be relatively easy to add the functionality but then you have the stress with different sensors.

Sorry for dusturbance or non relevant question but did’nt want to start new thread, bit is this Vesc legit?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/VESC-BLDC-Open-Source-Electric-Skateboard-ESC-/162366404102?hash=item25cdcab606%3Ag%3ARyoAAOSwNRdX2smF&_trkparms=pageci%3A875c9b82-0f21-11e7-956f-74dbd1805d85%7Cparentrq%3Af6f98b8015a0a62283653160fffa72b2%7Ciid%3A2

It seems pretty Good and are located in EU which is Good for me and not to expensive either bit is it legit?

Here’s the Temp Sensor. Although, this issue might not be the issue for the OP. Just as reference for those who haven’t seen it.

vesc starts cutting power off at higher temps as @Ackmaniac said, at 55 you’re still fine.

As @chaka said some times in the past, vesc v4 tend to overheat especially with 637x motors around the same kvs, with 1 (and especially with dual) 5065 the vescs should overheat much less.

This should be not an issue on vesc v6 (and vesc-x, and probably ollin-esc), they should be able to drive more powerful motors without overheating (w/ a motor with an higher max watt rating).

So my advice for that is go dual (that should be enough), add heatsinks and improve aifrlow (there’s a drawback if you don’t seal everything well) or get a post-v4 vesc (x, 6, ollin).

For others that live at lower latitudes and/or that are riding a lot in the summer and thus have higher temps and vesc power cutoffs due to overheating maybe switch to smaller motors if you can like 5065 or hubs (for example carvons). Another thing that should help prevent overheat on v4 it’s to increase the voltage (10s -> 12s).

Bare in mind that the shrinkwrap prevents the vesc from water / particles / moisture / electrical contact damage. Ideally you should aim for a good airflow for the enclosure so the vesc is cooled down but no water ever touches it. At least a good amount of space/air around the vesc would be nice.

I think a cool idea for an enclosure is to have one with a heatsink part exposed outside and you mount the vesc onto it so it cools down but that’s maybee a bit extreme lol