VESC troubleshooting. H.king 4.10 VESC

@Martinsp thats definitely a possibility, ill check the solder joints later and see if I missed any shorts.

@ThermalM16. Thats good to know! ill have another crack at it later, hopefully it will be revived!

2 Likes

Progress has been made. I Re-soldered DRV and put it back on, and I have a red flashing light (DRV error), but at least i know the VESC still works. My soldering is very bad, I know that :sweat_smile:. when plugged in to the esc configurator, in RT data, it shows that the current isn’t on 0 and is a little bit higher or lower, and the Mosfet temperatures are in the negatives. So I’m sure that I put the DRV on badly. here are some pictures:

Do you think that the reason the solder joints are coming out so badly is because i’m using lead free solder paste? I’ve installed the chip by tinning the ground pad with a soldering iron, cleaning up the solder pads with solder wick, apply a small amount of flux, then solder paste on top, then put the chip on and hot air solder it on. then there are a fair few bridges between the pins of the DRV so I clean them up with solder wick, but it seems that the solder wick is taking off to much solder. anyway i think ill order a few more DRV8302DCA chips and start again with a fresh DRV, as this chip is probably dead now after all my soldering abuse.

Cheers Jake

Edit: I also replaced the ARM chip from another VESC, since the firmware was wiped from the original chip.

Hmm some pins don’t look like they are even connected, just do a check and make sure as one pin near the top of the last pic on the right side looks to be disconnected

Edit: How was the Vesc going before this happened? And did you contact HobbyKing about a refund?

You are definitely on the right track, but it is a little too misaligned, the solder joints would be definitely more easily done with leaded solder. Wick cant remove too much, there will always be a little bit underneath the leg of the chip. Check R48-R51, all 4 should be 100 ohms (with some tolerance 1% most probably). I had similar problem before with a 4.10 where these were faulty and displaying wrong current. The resistors are on lines between shunts and DRV.

1 Like