Vesc Uart stopped working

The kicad schematic from vedder’s github lists 29 and 30…

Hm…you can tell it’s powered because of a light I assume? (Since you already said connecting to it is the problem). It is possible that it’s still not getting enough power when under load (i.e. When it’s transmitting since that requires a lot more power than an LED or something) and the light stays on because of a capacitor or something… frankly I’m just shooting in the dark now. I hope it turns out to be more of a Casper ghost and not a dementor like being. But to find any of that out, you’d need an o-scope or logic analyzer to really see what the signals are doing.

1 Like

Im pretty confident it’s powered, I can even connect to the Bluetooth module (but I can’t retrieve any information) with my phone which mean there is enough power to establish a wireless connection, I can even power an atmega328 from this power source I have just reassembled my board as I need it but as soon as I get some time I’ll check the continuity with 29 and 30, thanks for your help!

If there where a problem with 5V or the MCU, you won’t be able to connect to the VESC on USB, so I think your problem is most likely to be on the bluetooth connection or even the module itself, check to see if every wire is connect to the right spot, maybe post some picture.

Regards JF

1 Like

Definitely not the Bluetooth module, it’s working for another project of mine And the fact that the vesc doesn’t respond to my arduino through uart (it used to) really makes me think the problem is in the vesc side

Everything works perfectly through USB so most realistic issue to my mind is a problem with the trace…

Why don’t you switch the slave to master VESC as stated on my previous message?

I do have a single drive, I only have one vesc…

Switch VESCs from your other project and try again

Unfortunately my other project is not about electric skateboard at all … I only own one vesc :confused:

It indeed was the trace!.. Managed to resolve the issue with some fine soldering directly on the chip

1 Like

Hi. I have the same problem. I am using the ackmaniac app to monitor the stats on vesc 4.12 via bluetooth module (standard fw is up to date).

Worked fine for a few months then all of a sudden uart stopped. The app reads the battery max amps and motor max amps but voltage, current, duty etc doesnt show.

Works from micro usb and I have checked continuity between stm pins and uart plug pins.

I have changed bluetooth module.

Anyone have any ideas?

I checked my volatge under load and it suddenly droped to 2.4 volts instead of 3.2 volts so my ble modul is thinking tahtb there is no signal at all. how to repair this