VESC USB Port Burning Hot

I guess… but it is still weird, just be cautious at first :confused:

1 Like

This is fucking pissing me off now. So I have a brand new @torqueboards vesc, and it out of the blue blows the can transceiver on both of my vescs. I know that it is easy to make the mistake of connecting CAN wrong, but I connected the can cable to both of my vescs, and powered them on both at the sames time, just like you are supposed to. As seen above, I removed the transcievers off both vescs, and are running them in split ppm. cool. however before I can even get off the bench, I’m finding that the BRAND NEW vesc is smoking from the 3 pins for the servo cable. I’m tagging @torqueboards cause I feel like I got a faulty vesc etc… but we can take that to pm I suppose (trying to abide by new rules) Again @JohnnyMeduse I hate to bug you, but any idea about this new problem?

could you post some closeup picture of it?

Also, what firmware are you using?

You can program a dual vesc setup and just connect the canbus afterwards that way you don’t damage the can transceiver. Just remember which one is master. Send us an email. We’ll replace it.

1 Like

I guess you didn’t read the thread Dexter, Can is ALREADY blown. And now look like it has issue with the PPM… it is probably gonna be a dead MCU.

Uploading: 24334EA1-75C0-4355-BAF2-CE0D18B3485D.jpeg… Uploading: CBF77C91-2678-4D35-9FAA-8AC65CFB49B5.jpeg… Uploading: 12B6AB6A-90F2-4A90-AA91-B288FFC94B48.jpeg… I’m using Ack 3.103 on both @JohnnyMeduse

Thanks Johnny. @J_Dizzle Email me and we’ll get you squared away.

1 Like

maybe you could try to switch FW… sound like I could have something to do with the MCU. Maybe try the old 2.18 or the new Vesc_tool from vedder.

Doesn’t look like the picture upload properly

Yeah the pics are loading I will try again but there are not visible burn marks or anything. It doesn’t smoke when I connect it to power, there is no response when I do that it is when I connect the servo cable then it starts smoking from right there

I just remember a little detail, If you use split PPM make sure that the 5V (or red cable) is only connect to one VESC

2 Likes

:man_facepalming: I guess that would be the problem, so if I snip the red (positive) then it may work?

I can’t confirm 100%, but that could be a good root cause for the smoking PPM

Well I cut one positive wire, and there is no more smoke, but I think the vesc is fried.

does the blue light still powerup?

No, no signs of life at all

HUMMM… Yeah I’M guessing that the TVS diode as been shorted. Maybe if you have a multi-meter you could check if D5 is shorted

ok, where is that located?

IMG_20170818_105854

2 Likes