Vibration: how do you handle it?

This made me think why changing from topmount to dropthrough increased the vibrations for me. Its the fact that the board is supported by the screws directly instead of the riser pads, like in the topmount. Maybe i can get something between the bottom of the screw and the deck.

@Lizardking0069 something like this could help if you put it between the washers and the bottom of the deck. https://www.daddiesboardshop.com/khiro-drop-thru-shock-pad

This is one thing I noticed switching from a soft flexy loaded vanguard to the stiff LHB scarlet deck. I like super stiff decks for high speed, but man on bad roads your feet really start to feel it. I’ve been using running shoes that help out, and the 83mm 80a flywheel clones help…but still, if anyone has any other ideas let me know. If anything I’m just more paranoid about screws coming loose.

I had already ordered some khiro spacers and they arrived yesterday!

The weight of the deck on a dropthrough rests on the bottom of the screws not the truck plates. Sounds counterintuitive but if I want vibration dampening these should go on the bottom sandwiched between the bolts and the deck, not on top between the deck and the truck plate.

That is why I told you to put the shock pads between the bottom of the deck and the washers/bottom of the screws. Good to see you got the right stuff though :wink:

Wow the reduction in vivration is very noticeable. This was really effective! I used some titanium 1" screws I had ordered.

I installed the rubber on the bottom.

4 Likes

Aren’t they meant to go between the baseplate and the board ?

2 Likes

I thought so too, but if you think about it, mechanically the load is on the bolts. Therefore the dampening should be between the deck and the bolts.

1 Like

…true !,

is it rubbery or hard ? Do you think a larger washer would help?

So you find it makes a noticable difference ?

what about rubber washers between the bolts and board in addition to the softer riser pad between the truck and board? then it would be sort of a tow pronged approach to vibration damping.

I played around with using rubber grommets and washers to lessen vibration.

It does work for a while but the rubber starts breaking down and allowing too much movement for good control.

Now I just run 97’s and use a 1/4" shock pad.

Going from 90mm to 97mm abec clones really reduced a lot of vibration

Larger and softer wheels certainly help reduce vibration. However, the 97mm flywheels are fairly heavy. My goal is to reduce the weight as much as possible and have a nice controlled and comfortable ride. I’m actually reducing wheel size from 90mm to 83mm!

I have a few of these vibration dampeners from the camera gimbal of my phantom:

I might try them and see how it goes.

I’ve been trying out a layer of 1/2" foam in place of grip tape, cut from 24" foam flooring squares, and it seems to noticeably lessen vibrations, while also being quite grippy. Main problem so far is that the double sided tape I’m using isn’t quite strong enough. It’s fine while riding, but comes loose when it’s sitting for too long. Might try hot glue next.

5 Likes

I’m going for a BuddyBuddy-Deck, this technology looks great for eboards in damping (and in general), I’ll check this soon http://www.buddybuddy.eu/anchorCoreTechnology.html

Besides this, Double Ricer Pads and 97mm Abecs in 75a are great for a soft ride, too bad Abec11 stopped producing this wheels because they are “too soft” :frowning: good luck finding them

1 Like

Just checked their website and I don’t believe a word they are saying. I just hate when companies try to do these “simple” explanations with totally wrong analogies.

This anti-slip mat is about the right size and already has an adhesive backing Looks pretty interesting

2 Likes

I must say, the biggest impact came from my board flex. comparing my tesseract to my vanguard, its like comparing a stiff f1 car to a wobbly old american V8 cruiser. usually i dont like old US movie cars, but riding the vanguard is really super smooth, it just eats up all the cracks and bumps, much more enjoyable to ride than my tesseract on bad pavement and I feel like I also have more grip when carving. :open_mouth:

2nd biggest impact is really the wheel. you really want tons of urethane, which is why I really dont like kegels all that much, its why Im really sceptical about hub motors and its why I really love my 90mm 75A flywheels. :slight_smile:

I always use shockpads, but they make only a very minor difference imo! softer bushings and pivot cups also helps!

against rattling I usually have felt sheets in my enclosures and I also add double adhesive tape between board and enclosure for example.

2 Likes

good point about pivot cups,

with the E board weight and stresses its really easy to feel/hear rattling when the pivot cup splits and its metal on metal contact.

I used to get numb feet from the vibration. Bu after riding almost every day i got use to it I guess. It doesnt happen any more.

Anyone try these before? The review says it is pretty good

2 Likes