Voltage cut off under load

Yeah, This image is a decent depiction of what is probably tripping your BMS protection. Inrush_current Basically inrush current is a the sudden current draw that occurs when first applying voltage to the motor coils which act as a dead short to the battery. There is also a ton a current required to get your moving on your board from a dead stop but once you’re at speed all your motor is doing is overcoming friction so the current draw is less.

When you toss in that capacitor it holds enough energy that it can “smooth” out that sudden current draw(if it’s big enough).

EDIT: if you want to learn more about EE stuff than I would take a look at allaboutcircuits it has some good noncalculus based resources.

1 Like

Does one need to go one each parallel? I’m trying to find info on them, or coulda few go upstream heading into the vesc? Or do they have to go before the bms?

I’m trying to find a diagram

This is the same concept, the capacitor goes directly across the terminals of your battery.

Well took out the board this morning Vesc settings: Motor 60/-60 Battery 40/-40

Worked great even under full throttle up hills! I also think I may have set the motor settings too high also just read through my parts again and it said max 65, I had it on 70…

1 Like