VRUZEND battery diy kit questions!

Hi micah, i already made a pre-order on your copper kit, my question is can the copper plat bended so we could make a flat pack, block type of pack seems not suitable for e-skate coz we put it under our deck.

Hey! Yes, the copper busbars are soft enough to bend, though Iā€™m not sure this is the best method to achieve a flat pack. In my opinion, it would be better to make a ā€œflexible busbarā€ at that point using a short piece of wire and ring terminals. That way it will be easier to reach in and tighten the nut. Bending the bus bar will make it tricky to close the nuts while reaching the terminals since the bus bars are very short, less than an inch between the holes.

In this video (skip to about 12:34 for the wire jumpers) I made flexible connections like I mentioned above for places where I needed to reach but busbars couldnā€™t bend to make the connection. You can do the same thing to connect two 1-cell thick rows laying next to each other to make a flat pack for skateboards.

I will be doing exactly this soon when I make a video of building a pack for an electric skateboard using the Vruzend V2 kit.

5 Likes

Looking forward to the skateboard pack video! I wonder how this will hold up to the vibration our vechicles produce.

Hey Micah, what material are you making the spring cap terminals(not sure of name) from?

The piece that the bolt goes through on one side which pushes against the battery terminal on the other side(flap)

Looking forward to see your e-skate flat battery pack video, thanks for sharing. :wink:

1 Like

Yea vibrations are intense, so using sandwich plates on either side of the caps will be recommended. Basically some flat piece of wood, hard plastic such as a cutting board, metal sheet, etc. Then zip tie or bolt the two plates together. Pretty simple but Iā€™ll show it in an upcoming video. This will hold the caps on the cells in extreme vibration situations. Sandwich plates wonā€™t be necessary for vibration free environments, but we donā€™t operate in those environments :wink:

We call those the internal contacts for short, but those and the threaded terminal and nuts will all be copper alloys, probably at least 96% copper. Pure copper would be too soft and wouldnā€™t have enough spring or strength for threads. Then the bus bars will be pure copper. And all of those parts will be nickel coated for superior corrosion resistance.

That what I thought. Zip ties might work very well, but Iā€™m also concerned how those nuts will stay or do I have to add a drop of glue on top of them? Or use guality lock nuts.

What weā€™ve found is that because the plastic in the caps compress a bit under the busbar, it creates a compression force on the nut that actually acts like a locknut, keeping them in place. But some people still add a drop of hot glue just for insurance since it makes them feel good.

How much is V2 going to cost for an european customers?

To be honest I have no idea yet. In terms of the business side, Iā€™m only involved in the North American affairs. My best guess is it will be somewhere around $0.50 per cap or $1 per cell, including all the hardware and everything. It will be more expensive than the V1.5 because the copper materials are more expensive and the machining processes are more complicated. Should still be less expensive than any other high power solderless/weldless kit out there that Iā€™m aware of though.

Dollar per cell is actually very reasonable price. Ofc itā€™s more expensive imported in EU but still a good price.

Cool itā€™s not my IP or yours, far too generic but a good choice, some wiki, congrats to veruzend for upping their game

ā€œHigh conductivity beryllium copper alloys contain as much as 0.7% beryllium with some nickel and cobalt. The thermal conductivity of these alloys is greater than aluminium and slightly less than pure copper and are often used as electrical contacts.ā€

We actually have an EU vendor in Nkon.nl and a UK specific vendor on eBay.co.uk (since I guess UK and EU are two distinct things nowā€¦). So that should reduce import costs.

Are we using beryllium copper? Last time I checked thatā€™s not a metal I would want to be exposed to like working with my hands then ya know. Eat my sandwich.

Iā€™m guessing silence = yes

Donā€™t worry itā€™s safe outside of manufacturing, itā€™s pretty much the only choice for a mechanical tab

I have your V2 kit sitting on my work table currently. Excited to see how it turns out once I finish the educational videos.

1 Like

No itā€™s not beryllium copper. Similar, but no beryllium in our mix.

1 Like

Pretty good choice price wise

Beryllium copper is non-magnetic. Its electrical conductivity is about 2-4 times as great as phosphor bronze.

So i got the vruzend V2 Copper Kit @MicahT, i bought from international orders and it cames from India, the quality looks good, just wondering how iā€™ll make a flat battery pack with this :grin:

1 Like