WANTED - 10s4p enclosure [Australia]

Hey everyone. I’m looking for a 10s4p enclosure (w/ space for 2 focboxes) in australia, as everything from overseas ends up being insanity in terms of pricing + shipping around the world.

Drop me a PM, used or new :slight_smile:

Idk if this is what you want exactly but Bunnings sells plant potters for $4 that might be big enough, looks decent after a paint job too

3 Likes

Haha, i did actually take a look at bunnings but the didn’t seem to be large enough to get everything in.

Get some resin and a few old t-shirts, rest is just imagination :rofl:

4 Likes

Been there, done that :wink:

Super economy courier from uk to Australia works out at £17 cost price.

2 Likes

I forgot to meantion they also have an extra large version on their website

Hey everyone, ended up getting an enclosure. I’ll leave this open as I know there are other aussies looking. @solideogloria is in syd and making enclosures from $45 :smiley:

Any chance we could get some pics ? :smiley:

Hello!

As promised, new enclosures ready for production!

Sorry for the delay. I know some of you have been waiting since @overint 's post.

A lot goes into making these enclosures. They’re expensive by nature. But I’ve taken on board your feedback to keep prices low.

Again, I must stress that these are handmade custom parts, made in Australia. They’re not cheap and they’re definitely not made in China, Vietnam, India, etc.

Each stage has taken days and weeks to design and build with many repetitive and time consuming tasks that require much fuss and patience: First cutting out moulds, trimming them, sanding over and over again until smooth, polishing and applying layers of wax and mould release agent, then finally laying the carbon (or fibreglass), supervising and waiting hours for it to set under the vacuum pressure making sure it’s all perfect, then pulling it out of the vacuum bag and mould the following day to do more trimming, sanding, and polishing, before applying a finishing and protective clear coat. And that’s just for one enclosure!

This first enclosure is simple, light, and strong. Just drill some holes, and screw, or bolt on and you’re set. Ideally you’d add a gasket made from something like neoprene, silicone, or rubber to seal the edges and act as a a dampener. OR, if you’re really tight, you could run a bead of caulk around the edge. This will cover your battery and electrics. Quick and easy.

The downside is that the design has very little flex, so not ideal for flex boards. It will work for any deck, but it’s not the best solution if you’re interested in flex.

The shape itself also has inherent weak points as a long one-piece enclosure. For instance, it’s a bit vulnerable to penetrating force at the centre of the belly where it’s most vulnerable, and it’s vulnerable to flexion at rigid the edges which will bend as ‘pump’ the middle of the deck while riding.

The enclosure does, however, twist and has torsional strength and can withstand compression and won’t easily be crushed if you run into a wall, etc. So it’s strong stuff overall and won’t break anytime soon (deep water boats are made out fibreglass).

Internal dimensions: 526 x 162 x 40mm deep (will be 43mm with a neoprene gasket) 20.7 x 6.4 x 1.6" External dimensions (overall): 584 x 220mm 23" x 8.7"

Vacuum bagging process: Surplus resin bleeding into the breather fabric makes the part as thin and light as possible. (Surplus resin is brittle and heavy like toffee).

(Note: For those wondering, the white rectangular strip is white masking tape showing through from underneath. But it gives you an idea how White Fibre Vermicelli would look.

Finishes___ Clear Fibre Vermicelli (Joke) Yum…:ramen::drooling_face: (And yes, vermicelli is a food.)

@overint Overint actually quoted you all the lowest price from a range of prices I suggested to him for various materials and finishes… :neutral_face: But I’ll sell this cheap to get things started and help you guys out.

$45 each + SHIPPING, for first 10 orders. Then, price goes up to $70 each.

• Clear Fibre VermicelliFREE
  • Black Fibre Vermicelli — (+$10)
  • Stormtrooper Epoxy White — (+$15)
  • Satin Black painted finish — (+$20)
  • Clear Black Carbon, Raw — (+$20)
  • Blacked-out Carbon, Raw — (+$20)
  • Clear Black Carbon, Gloss — (+$40)
  • Peel-ply Black Carbon, Raw — (+$50)

Tail Light: Low-profile. Waterproof. Super bright and slim. Wire routes from the centre and runs under the trucks to the enclosure. Coated in a glossy black epoxy. Mount with hot glue, or similar. Powers via. a voltage step-down regulator (not included, ~$5) which lowers the voltage to sends ~12v to the lights, instead of whatever high voltage your battery has (e.g. 25v), so the lights don’t burst and burn.

$30 each. Comes with long wires.

• +$5 for each extra light
  • +$5 for plugs: Bullet, XT90, XT60, etc.

FREE POSTAGE AUSTRALIA-WIDE $10 SHIPPING WORLDWIDE

Payment: PM me for details.

The Modular Flex Enclosure is designed for maximum flex, allowing more flex than a bamboo board! Also, as an expandable system of modules (each housing a 2s4p), it allows an unlimited number of batteries to be wired together!

Diagram___ Overlapping tongue in groove (Overlapping tongue-in-groove joint in wood, for reference)

Having modelled it after an armadillo shell I immediately thought of the back protector I use for supersport motorcycling – A ‘Manis D1’ back protector by Italian company Dainese , world-class innovators with research backed by an Italian university. While other enclosures are like turtle shells, creatures like the armadillo, centipede, millipede, and lobster, have shells / exoskeletons that protect the internal organs while moving with the creature.

Diagram___ Armadillo(500)

Diagram___ Lobster (500)

Diagram___ Centipede(500)

Following the same design principle, each module links together using overlapping tongue-in-groove joints sealed with neoprene tape (for insulation and dampening). This allows freedom of movement on the outside in each of the series of modules AND ALSO on the inside as each 2s4p cell (and its wiring connections) move freely with the board not against it.

This enclosure system is the antithesis of what would typically be a long and rigid one-piece enclosures not designed to bend repeatedly. Such enclosures incur stress at the joints and are prone to cracking as the board flexes. – Think of all those bumps in the road, jumps, landings, cracks in the pavement, popping up curbs, jumping off curbs and stairs, power slides…, pumping and carving

When designing this, I noticed this design flaw in other enclosures that developed cracks, even the bigger names – I won’t name names – obviously due to limited / inadequate flexibility on a flexible deck. It’s a mismatch. Stress inevitably builds up over time and cracks form, compromising all the electrics. By then, you’d need a new enclosure, and possibly new electrics.

As this design allows maximum flex it prevents cracks from forming in the first place, ensuring protection of your electrical components. In turn, preventing external debris like water, dust, dirt, snow, mud, etc, and from entering AND also protect the battery pack itself from experiencing cracks in cells / cell joints and prevent the risk of cracked and disconnected wires / nickel strips, etc, which will definitely prevent risk of a short circuit in your expensive equipment!

This enclosure is quite idyllic if you’re looking for maximum flex, as it will last much much longer than others, AND it’s scalable ready for whenever you upgrade / upsize the battery!

The modular enclosure allows board design to be flexible. The board can be extra-short, short, medium, long, or extra-long, all using the same enclosure system! – It can be ideal for a short board build , portable for commuting, etc. E.g. 4 modules for a 8s4p.

It’s a one system solution for all. Both those with a specific board and battery size in mind, AND those who are unspecific, or uncertain, but they know they are open to upgrading to a bigger battery in future.

The downside, depending on how you see it, is that this enclosure requires a custom battery pack with wires linking each 2s4p pack inside each module (~1" / 25mm of wire per connection). In other words, the enclosure won’t readily suit any pre-made battery packs on the market without modification. It will have to be custom made, OR you can cut up a battery pack into smaller 2s4p packs and re-connect them together!

Wiring: The wires connecting each module (and 2s4p) have to be routed, either:

1. Through the enclosure via. a hole (see rubber grommet on the Blue Kevlar Carbon), or
  2. Under the enclosure (in deck) by routing or chiselling some material out of the deck. OR,
  3. Under the enclosure (above deck) by having a thicker 5mm neoprene gasket, allowing wires to sandwich between the deck and the enclosure.

Method 1 will expose the wires and there would be risk of wires snagging whilst riding. Method 2 keeps wires hidden inside and protected. :+1:

Fibreglass reinforced. Weight: ~35g / 1.23 oz. Super light, very stiff, hard, and strong. Has some twist.

Fibreglass reinforced. Weight: ~33g / 1.16 oz. Super light, very hard and strong, actually a bit stiffer when attempting to twist it, but it has more flex in theory (like a nylon bag) as the kevlar can absorb a puncture impact better than carbon would shatter. It also has abrasion resistance while carbon would disintegrate a bit quicker.

Specifications:

External dimensions (overall): 190 x 125mm 7.5 x 5"

Measurement of tongue overlap (as pictured): ~20mm 0.8"

i.e. 2 connected modules are 360mm long (14.2"). In numbers: [(190mm x 2) - 20mm] = 360mm.

Total length of enclosures using a 20mm tongue overlap: 4 modules = 700mm (27.6") 5 modules = 870mm (34.2") 6 modules = 1040mm (40.9") 7 modules = 1210mm (47.6") 8 modules = 1380mm (54.3")

The amount of overlap is personal preference. To achieve more flex (than pictured), you can space the modules further apart and have ~5mm (0.2") overlap. 2 connected modules would then be 375mm long (14.8").

**Total length of enclosures using a 5mm tongue overlap: 4 modules = 745mm (29.3") 5 modules = 930mm (36.6") 6 modules = 1115mm (43.9") 7 modules = 1300mm (51.2") 8 modules = 1485mm (58.5")

Regular price (non-discounted): This covers the basic material costs and labour and production time (at the minimum Australian award rate), and the plethora of immeasurable small inputs that form the bulk of the price and the overall complexity and difficulty. These amounts allow me enough to produce a sweet product for your enjoyment.

On the accounting side:

• Fixed costs are FREE. Rent and electricity are unaccounted for.
  • Sunk costs are FREE and have been unaccounted for. All the little tools, nic-nacs, trials and errors, etc, have not been counted.
  • Plug & mould making is FREE, unaccounted for.
  • Design fee is FREE, unaccounted for, which is a risk.
  • My opportunity cost is also FREE.
  • The gross profit-margin is near minimal, less than a typical retail shop that sells ordinary items, like very boring shoes. Whereas custom handmade premium products traditionally command very high margins, upwards of $1,000-3,000 per item, IF are you are offered the opportunity to buy. – Sellers on this forum have seriously underpriced their products and are very likely selling at a serious loss. They may even be oblivious to their losses until they finally get around to tallying it all up.

[Note: Each part is made with attention to detail and care with no expense spared. These are not carelessly mass manufactured products produced under miserable slave labour / sweat shop conditions in China, India, South America, or any with 3rd world conditions. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, apart from… health & safety issues, hygene & sanitation issues, class inequality issues, child and female exploitation issues, with human trafficking, etc. They’re also not made in underdeveloped and impoverished parts of Europe like Poland, Eastern Europe, or from gulags in Soviet Russia, or in any illegal or unethical manner. Everything is done above board.

The point is this: ‘These are quality specialty parts. You get what you pay for. Each order is fastidiously quality checked before shipping, cleaned, sanitised, wrapped and packaged securely in the best packaging available, … ready for a long and safe journey by plane to your door… :slightly_smiling_face:]

[EDIT - PRICE DROP. Having taken on board your feedback prices have been reduced a bit more. But that will be all for the first round of orders.]

E.g. 1)

A 12s4p 18650 li-ion battery pack will require 6 modules to house the batter (i.e. 6 x 2s4p = 12s4p), plus an additional module to house to house the VESCs / FOCBoxes. 7 enclosures in total, which comes to AU $277.00

E.g. 2)

A 10s4p 18650 li-ion battery pack will require _5 modules to house the battery (i.e. 5 x 2s4p = 10s4p), plus an additional module to house the VESCs / FOCBoxes. 6 enclosures in total. A total price of AU $237.43

Shipping___ Australia Post Logo

FREE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING for the first 10 pre-orders_

Turn around time: 3-4 weeks

Warranty & Support: I’ll look after you in the first year if anything breaks, within reason. Just send me a photo and I’ll replace it. No questions asked.

Pre-orders & Payment: PM me with your

• Full name
  • Address (street, city, state, post code, country)
  • Number of enclosures required
  • Material and finish you prefer

I’ll reply with PayPal payment information (for goods, not family & friends).

After the first 10 guys, prices will go up slowly. A lot of work has gone into this…:blush:

Thank you.

(n.b. The white rectangular strip is white masking tape showing through from underneath, for those wondering. But it gives you an idea how White Fibre Vermicelli would look.

Finishes___ Clear Fibre Vermicelli (Joke) Yum…:ramen::drooling_face: (And yes, vermicelli is a food.)

1 Like

Hi solideogloria, Really interested in an enclosure. My board is convex so I’d need an enclosure that could wrap around the board rather than being flat - could this be done? This is my first post so can’t dm yet, please message me directly for questions.

@Supertravio Absolutely! – By ‘convex’ do you mean a deck in the shape of a parabola / smiley face? Or do you mean inverse parabola / sad face?

Assuming parabola: Fibreglass / carbon can actually be BENT with heat. So what you’d do in a domestic setting, would be to heat up a thick pan, like a cast iron skillet pan for steaks, or maybe a BBQ hot plate (something that holds heat once heated up). Then you’d take a module and press the tongue onto the hot plate. Once soft (10-30 secs) it will be PLIABLE like soft plastic. – But heat it too long and the carbon layers may start to slowly de-laminate and split apart – Anyway, in your case, you’d bend the tongue inwards and ideally clamp it to your board while it cools (in 1-2 mins). You could hold it with your fingers, too, or screw it down asap. There you have it! Repeat per enclosure and you’ll have a ‘convex enclosure that wraps around the board’!

Or, did you mean, convex from the front view? Like this – Same principle applies, instead heating the sides too.

Based on that image, it’s concave rather than convex. Based on looking at it top down it’s concave (smiley). I get you though. Have you got a website with your standard offerings? I tried taking a photo to show the curve but it really doesn’t show.

@Supertravio

Concave / parabola / smiley: Yep, you’d heat and bend the sides inwards, following the profile of the deck.

Everything’s on this thread for now. If you have a specific request, let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

Hi, solideogloria, would you make a case to fit a focbox utility, and a 10s5p battery to fit on a bamboo GTX deck ?

Are you still doing enclosures mate