Water Cooled 6000+ Watt Super Speed Longboard Build

Yeah cable length does make a difference. I just chimed in because I’ve had a couple of those esc’s self destruct. And the brakes are pretty dangerous.

1 Like

My original plan on my first build was to use an in runner. Now I kind of want to revisit that after reading through your setup. Have you thought about using a planetary gearbox??? I have a 6:1 gearbox from reisenauer on my airplane and it’s pretty small although only rated to 3kw

1 Like

This looks awesome! I wanted to do this when I was first building my board, seeing those boat ESC’s with the water-cooling ports, thought it would be so cool!

PXSS,

I saw similar planetary gearboxes but they have similar max power outputs. I was worried that 6000+ watts would be too much. Also there might be a RPM limit to that gearbox that is too low. It would help make the design a lot more compact.

I liked the water cooled ESC idea! Im going to look into this as a possible alternative.

Still waiting on parts for the rear gear reduction assembly. In the meantime here are my lights. I have a small switch mounted on the underside to turn on/off.

These are 6watt LED bars. See the second image for a closeup when off.

I added these to help me not get hit by a car this summer. They are a little brighter than anticipated but I think it looks pretty cool. I am excited to ride it at night like this.

2 Likes

Nahhh. There’s no RPM limit. I run them at 30-40k in some of my airplanes but they only draw ~500ish Watts

1 Like

Hey Chris that looks awesome! Those 6W LED strips are actually exactly the same thing I use on the sides of my board! They looks awesome at night time!

Also you might want to look into these 15W LED Headlights to mount in the front of your board. I’m using 10W versions and there great but there just not bright enough to really make to big of a difference, these 15W ones though are really bright and will be way better! And also there obviously not 15W they only draw like 60-90mA from what I remember. http://www.ebay.com/itm/311770165023

2 Likes

Hey Jdogawesome,

Thank you for the info. I’m going to look into those headlights. I like where you put your led bars, probably a better spot.

Cheers,

Chris

They also sell red 10W LED versions of you want to put lights on the rear as well. I used like wire clip type things to attach them to the front of my board, I’ll attach of what I mean below. Also the placement of the LED’s doesn’t really matter, there purely aesthetic so wherever looks cooler.

1 Like

I have extras of both the white and red versions of that LED. Let me know if you guys want some. Amazon makes you buy like 5 at a time

Please excuse the lack of knowledge I’m very new to this kind of thing but what are you using convert your batteries voltage down to the 12V required for the led strip

1 Like

Typically a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) is used to step down to 12V (or 5V for the receiver). They are readily available at RC parts stores. SBEC or UBEC (I forget the difference).

Hey @Freddiecook, like @HTownBomber said people use UBEC’s or Buck Converters to get 12, 5 or whatever voltage you need. If your only using a 8S> battery pack then I would recommend using just a normal LM2596 Buck converter because there really cheap and can handle up to about an amp and half. If your using above 8S like 10 or 12S, you’ll need to find an UBEC that can convert that high voltage (around 50V) down to your needed voltage range. But whatever you do, DONT USE A LINEAR REGULATOR, there extremely inefficient and create tons of heat.

1 Like

Yeh I’m planning a build for 10s so will go with the ubec, I was only worried about the 5V not being enough for the lights

For these headlights I’d go for 12v. I think you’ll be disappointed with the brightness, if they even turn on at 5v

1 Like

How could I get 12V to them? Sorry I’m still learning lol

You’d just need a BEC or DC-DC (buck) converter that goes to 12V instead of 5v.

1 Like

Oh okay, thank you :slight_smile:

I don’t like that method. I prefer to use a dedicated 12v battery. Bec are not efficient when you go from 40v to 12v, and I don’t like having anything but the Esc drawing current from the main battery pack.

1 Like