Waterproofing: questions about motor

Not sure. I do have some laying around. … I’d need to check the size. 3 in total.

Due to “too early” rides last year I can tell you that the water isn’t your problem over here. It’s the salt on the road. It will destroy the coating of the windings and even the aluminum will get some marks. I used WD40 before wet and salty rides on the motors. After a ride I used a garden hose to wash salt and salty water away and out of the motors. In addition I used compressed air for drying and a bit of WD40 (Water Displacing formula 40) to keep them in good conditions. I know its not the best for the motor bearings, but still better then a rusty bearing.

Here you see how much salt you pick up from the road. If you see the crust on back truck you notice that the spinning motors sputter the water fine.

1 Like

Picture is not working?!

Damn you are fast. Have to upload from my mobile :smiley:

I am just excited to learn new stuff :slight_smile:

youre probably from the south - up here in the northern part of germany, you dont really have much salt on the roads - and never at all on sidewalks/bicycle lanes! :slight_smile:

Lucky northern lights :slight_smile: I’m from the West of Germany (Sauerland NRW) and when it comes to throw salt and crushed stones on the road people over here take it serious. The early rides in the year are dangerous, because the crushed stones remain in the middle of the road. @DeathCookies I don’t know why the picture isn’t showing up. I have to check later!

1 Like

Sometime when you have edited the “upload()…” text it wont show the picture at all… (because the system does not find the original text to replace it with the picture)

In that case you can only reupload it.

Where did you buy this stuff?

SK3 Motors- 5 Bearings !!,… wonder if other companies use 5 ??

Can we get some more specific information on this mesh air filter cover? A link, or product number maybe. Thank you in advance.

This is the one I got, you will have to sow up the end https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E7DMHM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475168370&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=K%26N+E-4142DK

The other option is going with the 4 in long cylindrical with closed end enstead of 2-13/16 in open end. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KSZ7OM4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475168547&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=K%26N+RU-1280DB

All h&k filter wraps http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx

3 Likes

Occasional splashes of water if fine but if you are under the impression that you will be riding thru flood zones often or something, you may want to take some extra precautions, though I would never recommend skating thru water unless you are an esk8 God, and you’d probably want pneumis

I’m from Minnesota and Iowa any they use a lot of salt in the winter months, that’s the use of this cover, it’s the stuff in the dirty water not the water I’m try to prevent.

I kind of like toying with the grip when the roads are wet. its what I also didnt like about pneumatics: they’ll just roll over anything and youd never have to worry about grip.

I rode my evolve carbon AT for nearly 2 years until I was fed up with it :wink:

water splashing into R-SPECS is fine. You have to seal the box and seal the phase leads at their connection points if you run them like i do, but that’s basically it. A little bit of silicone to cover any exposed metal on the connectors and it should be good.

I’m building a board for riding in light rain right now.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. Very helpful

1 Like